Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Replacement Ear Tags  (Read 3465 times)

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Replacement Ear Tags
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:32:07 am »
Our sheep are double tagged with Shearwell ear tags and 3 of our sheep have lost one of their tags each. 

All 3 sheep are bought-in stock, so are not tagged with our own CPH/flock number. 

Are there any advantages/disadvantages (other than cost) to using a 'double red' tag as apposed to a 'replica' tag?

Interested to hear what other do when tags are lost.  TIA

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
Re: Replacement Ear Tags
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:49:12 am »
Thank you SD. 

My initial gut feeling was just to go for replicas as it just keeps things more simple, which is always a good thing where I am concerned!   The reduced stress/harm caused to the animals is an added bonus too.  The cost will not break the bank for the numbers we are dealing with, so it no real concern. 

I did wonder if double red tags are viewed with some form of unfounded suspicion when selling stock, almost like someone is trying to cover something up...?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:27:25 am »
There is no more stress putting a new tag in than cutting out 1 and replacing with double red, if done correctly. Nor should you harm the sheep cutting the tag out, again if done correctly.

I have red tags here so if it’s a bought in cull ewe/ram that needs new tags I put them in. If it’s a lamb it has its remaining tag cut out and replaced with a new set rather than a replica (all my lambs are double tagged at birth for recording purposes). If it’s a breeding ewe or pedigree tup it gets a replica tag.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 11:44:33 am »
Sorry, missing some critical detail in my original question:

1 x Breeding Tup (pedigree registered)
and
2 x Breeding Ewes (also pedigree registered)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 12:50:42 pm »
I believe you can only use replica tags on stock you’ve breed yourself...with bought in stock one must use replacement red tags.- not sure Re Scotland.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:06:47 pm »
I believe you can only use replica tags on stock you’ve breed yourself...with bought in stock one must use replacement red tags.- not sure Re Scotland.
That is not what I have been told by Shearwell.  Based in England.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 01:16:15 pm »

Not true- I ordered a load of replica tags last year for bought in ewes whose tags had faded. I wanted to keep their original tag number so opted for replica rather than double red tags.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 01:44:01 pm »
I buy my tags from Symtag (now Roxan) and their advice was to remove the existing tag and log the change in my flock book. They can and do make replacements, but they are more expensive.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:06:46 pm »
That is not what I have been told by Shearwell.  Based in England.

I looked it up because it certainly used to be the case that you couldn't get replica tags for other than homebred sheep.  But clearly the rules have changed and all the vendors offer this now.

It also used to be the case that an animal with red tags could not be sold on again or exported, but that seems also to have changed.

In your case, Maysie, because of the pedigree registrations, I would go for replica. 

Plus, there may be a residual antipathy to red tags because of the (now outdated) rules restricting onward sales.  So if these animals could be sold on again then I would definitely go for replica.

When you talk again to Shearwell, ask if these specific tags have free lifetime replacements.  Depending on how the original owner bought them, they may do ;)   

3 sheep losing Shearwell tags suggests a problem with applying them, to me.  Shearwell change (improve) the applicator jaws from time to time, and using the wrong set with specific tags can result in them not snapping shut properly.  A breeder should know where and how to apply tags to reduce losses, so it is unlikely to be positioning, I would hope.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 08:24:13 pm »
I also looked it up as I was sure... the regulations have definitely changed ...
Also there was this about different types of id

From gov website
Identifiers are typically ear tags, but 1 of the 2 identifiers can also be:

a pastern (leg band)
a bolus (an EID which is ingested by the animal and can be scanned)
an injectable EID, which is injected and can be scanned (goats only)
Adult sheep or goats can have any of the following identifier combinations.

EID   Conventional (non-EID) identifier   Animal can be exported?
Yellow EID ear tag   Ear tag   Yes
Yellow EID ear tag   Tattoo (can go across both ears, with UK code and flock number on one ear and individual animal number on other ear)   No
Yellow EID ear tag   Pastern (leg band)   Yes
EID bolus (identifier ingested by the animal)   Black ear tag or pastern   Yes
Yellow EID pastern (leg band)   Ear tag

All a bit mind blowing

Thanks for making me check

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 03:57:27 pm »
I had no idea what a minefield I had walked into! 

Replicas tags are the right answer for me - and I will get them quick before the regulations change again! 

Shearwell are keen to promote the 'free replacements for life' offer, but that only applies if the original tags were ordered in batches of 200 or more - which they tell you when requesting a replacement....
Sneaky. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 04:10:07 pm »

Replicas tags are the right answer for me - and I will get them quick before the regulations change again! 

Shearwell are keen to promote the 'free replacements for life' offer, but that only applies if the original tags were ordered in batches of 200 or more - which they tell you when requesting a replacement....
Sneaky.

I've had discussions with shearwell about this before- they offer free cattle replacement tags for life with no minimum quantity ordered, so I argued why couldn't they offer my sheep free replacements. Obviously because the margins are so small, but we do put a fair amount of money for cattle tissue tags and sheep tags through them. I had to order a load of replicas because the numbers had become illegible in 3-4yr old ewes, and 2 x 2 year old ewes had lost their shearwell tag all together without ripping the ear. I think we met in the middle in the end and I paid for half the replacement tags but it did take a bit of persevering to get any money off.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 04:24:32 pm »

I've had discussions with shearwell about this before- they offer free cattle replacement tags for life with no minimum quantity ordered, so I argued why couldn't they offer my sheep free replacements. Obviously because the margins are so small, but we do put a fair amount of money for cattle tissue tags and sheep tags through them. I had to order a load of replicas because the numbers had become illegible in 3-4yr old ewes, and 2 x 2 year old ewes had lost their shearwell tag all together without ripping the ear. I think we met in the middle in the end and I paid for half the replacement tags but it did take a bit of persevering to get any money off.
To be honest, I really don't mind paying for the replacements as Shearwell are never going to get rich out of my small flock... 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 05:04:10 pm »
To be honest, I really don't mind paying for the replacements as Shearwell are never going to get rich out of my small flock... 

True, but had I known about the free tags for life I would of probably ordered from them on the basis that if they are making that statement then theymust be confident of their retention rate. So I'd of felt duped if I'd then discovered the offer didn't apply to me.. I'll stick to Roxan.. Till they change the plyers and charge me for them again that is..

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 06:22:33 pm »

Sneaky.

Not sneaky at all, it is made very clear when you initially order.  And they used to offer alternatives (don't know if they do now as I am no longer in the bulk buy category of customer) : free taggers, or a discount, or free for life replacements, so I suspect that a lot of farmers took the money up front!  (We certainly used to.  Hardly any ever came out, and you only really needed to replace ones that did if that animal left the farm through a market ;) )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS