Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tagging  (Read 3009 times)

Julia1521

• Joined Jul 2020
Ear tagging
« on: August 12, 2020, 03:02:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've got 6 adult goats that need ear tagging. They've never been done before and I've never tagged goats before. I've done lots of research and am relatively confident I know where and how to do it.

However, I've read infection is a lot more common when tagging adults than kids. I've brought some agricultural lube to put on the tags and will disinfect the applicator before using it but if anyone else has any tips on preventing infection I'd be very grateful. I should also say I am planning to do it in the winter when fly season is over so hopefully this would help too.

I also wondered if its worth speaking to the vet to see if they could prescribe me any antibiotics to have on hand incase infection does occur. I don't know what the laws are in the UK. Does the animal have to already have an infection before it can be prescribed antibiotics? Or could I just phone and ask for some 'Engemycin Spray' for example incase I might need it.

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Thank you

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Ear tagging
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:48:23 am »
I think you may of overthought it  :) which just shows how much you care about your animals!

My goats lost ear tags all of the time until I gave up trying to tag them, I always had tags allocated to them, but they were kept in a box. I think because the goats nature it to route amongst the trees they are a hazard and can be ripped out and tear the ears, so some antibiotic spray in your medicine box would be a good idea.

I'm not a fan of the loop tags with goats, but if you do use them make sure you cut them once on, so that they are less likely to catch.

I would just get on and do it, beware that goats can be very noisy, especially for the second tag when they know what to expect!

Julia1521

• Joined Jul 2020
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 02:25:52 pm »
Scarlet. Dragon thank you for your reply! To answer your questions yes I am based in the UK and all the goats were born on my property and have a flock number assigned.  In terms of cleaning what would you recommend using, I had thought about using iodine but saw that a lot of people online were saying to make sure its completely dry before tagging.

I haven't got a management plan in place with my vet (i'm hoping to sort one out soon). Does this mean they can't prescribe me anything?

bj_cardiff I think you are right about me overthinking it! I've read countless horror stories online now about goat tags getting terribly infected or ripping their ears to pieces so am a little apprehensive top say the least! It's one of the things I hate about farming, it's horrible for the animal and they don't benefit but unfortunately something that has to be done. Thanks for the advice about the loop tags I've heard other people mention they aren't great as well so will definitely avoid those. I was thinking of maybe going for the 'Goat Small Flexo Flag' from Dalton Tags instead.

Mummyhen

• Joined May 2020
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 08:08:59 pm »
I have just got my first Pygmy kids aged 5 months, so cute, they have come with yellow button like ear tags in both ears, I hate them, as Iam worried they will get caught on fencing etc, do they have to be kept in ? I've asked my vet he said yes by law, but also seen that a tag removed can be bought, any advice please to a new goat mummy

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 12:46:55 pm »
Leave them in.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:12 am »
Hi. Infection is rare in my experience. Legally goats should have been double tagged before they get to adulthood.  If you are registered with a vet then they should be able to prescribe you the yellow terramycin antibiotic spray - it is useful to have in case of any minor injury anyway.  However, to be able to do this they will probably want to have seen your animals.  Whereabouts in the country are you - maybe someone can give you a hand.  I would also suggest in future if you have any more goats born on your holding you tag them as kids as it is far easier to hold them!

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 10:45:41 am »
Tag them on a dry day as it isn't recommended to vaccinate on a wet day as site will be more prone to abscesses so I imagine the same is the case with tagging.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 05:26:07 pm »
Hi. Infection is rare in my experience. Legally goats should have been double tagged before they get to adulthood.  If you are registered with a vet then they should be able to prescribe you the yellow terramycin antibiotic spray - it is useful to have in case of any minor injury anyway.  However, to be able to do this they will probably want to have seen your animals.  Whereabouts in the country are you - maybe someone can give you a hand.  I would also suggest in future if you have any more goats born on your holding you tag them as kids as it is far easier to hold them!
I thought goats only need single tags - sheep need two (one of them electronic). Isn't right???
My first goats had double tags but my new goats only have 1 each - and thats how i bought them!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Mummyhen

• Joined May 2020
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 09:15:27 pm »
Hi,
I've just had ear tags removed from my 5month old kids, only had then for 8 days, but hate the tags, I know by law they needed to be tagged by the farmer, but after reasearch I found that I could have them microchipped, all done and registered. They will just be my pets.
Hope you get sorted, take care

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 10:10:12 am »
Hi,
I've just had ear tags removed from my 5month old kids, only had then for 8 days, but hate the tags, I know by law they needed to be tagged by the farmer, but after reasearch I found that I could have them microchipped, all done and registered. They will just be my pets.
Hope you get sorted, take care

For the unlikely event that you will get inspected by Animal Heatlh or DEFRA, have a set of tags (and the required tagger) ready to put them in - you will normally get a few days notice before an inspection. Having pygmy goats microchipped is a good move though, as - especially if you live in a non-farming area, i.e. town - they can be targeted by thieves. Not to scare you, just to be aware and to have your set-up accordingly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS