Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unusual insect identification  (Read 4892 times)

Eeyore77

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Unusual insect identification
« on: August 03, 2020, 04:30:53 pm »
Hello we were hill walking today at clachnaben in Aberdeenshire and one of my boys spotted this. It was about half the length of a mans little finger but about the same thickness.
As it was on the path I moved it with a leaf to stop it getting trampled and when it was touched it flew off.
Any idea what it is?
Thanks.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Unusual insect identification
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:04:56 pm »
It looks a bit like a hornet, but the legs and feelers aren't quite right:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/animals/bees-wasps-and-ants/hornet/
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 08:18:18 pm »
We had these, or very similar ones, in a tree and thought they were Asian hornets. I reported it and sent a photo. Turned out they are not hornets, but I can't remember what they are called. Harmless though.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:33:37 pm »
Some sort of wood wasp?  It has what looks like a strong ovipositor.

Google 'wood wasps scotland' and there it is, with a picture - The giant horntail is a massive sawfly that is also known as the 'giant woodwasp' or 'greater horntail'. A relative of the wasps, the female is black and yellow and has a long, stinger-like tail that is actually her ovipositor, which she uses to lay her eggs into wood, particularly pine.

Giant horntail | The Wildlife Trusts

Good guess or what  8)   :sunshine: An excellent find [member=120706]Eeyore77[/member] Congratulations to your eagle-eyed son  :trophy:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:41:54 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 07:29:30 am »
Yay, well done both of you!  I'd never heard of a wood wasp before.

I was starting to think it was a giant nopefly after all!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 09:02:59 am »
We get wood wasps. They land on the horses sometimes and they are not best pleased which can be interesting.

Eeyore77

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 10:42:54 am »
Thanks Everyone,
I’ve never heard of a Giant Horntail before. We thought perhaps it’s some sort of huge hornet as it looked pretty intimidating, but just goes to show that looks aren’t everything.
On the drive back down over the Cairn O’Mount he spotted a Red Kite hanging in the air a few yards out from the road where the hill drops down to the bottom of the glen. So he’s got a good eye for nature (obviously he can’t spot dog/sheep/chicken poo/cow pats where he’s walking though, but I guess that they aren’t so interesting!).
Cheerio.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:03 am »
When our children were small we lived in St Andrews, which is near to Tentsmuir forest, full of pine trees, perfect for an insect which lays its eggs in wood.  One of those things landed on the wall of our house. Our sons being wildlife crazy were absolutely fascinated, as were we all, so we identified it then, but I wasn't initially sure if yours was totally the same [member=120706]Eeyore77[/member] - it's a long time ago since I saw our one!
My younger son went on to study Zoology at Uni, so perhaps his early interest will spark a similar future for your boy. (The red kites at Cairn o' Mount are famous - good spot!)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS