Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who can move my goats?  (Read 1471 times)

Margie Fortune

• Joined Aug 2020
Who can move my goats?
« on: August 03, 2020, 03:15:53 pm »
I am looking for a company that can transport 4 x goats and 4 x kids from Norfolk to Kilmelford, Argyll.
It's proving to be quite difficult finding a company willing or able to take on such a small load for a journey of at least 8.5 hours.
Any help, leads, suggestions or contacts would be very welcome. Many thanks.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Who can move my goats?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:29:29 pm »
eric gillie horse transporters take goats as well as many haulage companys If  goats sold through sell my livestock website they can arrange haulage. They do online instant quotes but phoning them they will try and source part load which will be alot cheaper,
BUT considering the distance you have, will cost a hell of alot.
I am in Aberdeenshire and someone in wales was trying to buy my goats they were quoted 1800 and another quote from me to rugby was 110! must been part load then they were too late and quoted 950 In the end  someone from Isle of Skye bought them and come over for them himself. Previously approx quotes from Aberdeen to North of England around 250

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 04:14:39 pm »
Can you not take them yourself? As long as you do not keep your goats for business you do not need one of the certificates for competence - I have taken goats (my own) from South of Scotland to near Land's End in Cornwall with no problems/questions asked - and I did fill in the forms correctly. Several times.

If you don't have one - hire a small van, lay it out with a tarpaulin, nice absorbent bedding, or see if you can hire a livestock trailer, even a small IW P6 (can be towed behind most cars) will be big enough, if you don't have your own. A couple of breaks for feeding and water (take buckets etc with you), plus have a hayrack up, and you are good to go. Subdivide the trailer into two pens if possible, so kids are separate form adults. If you are worried about heat etc, set off in the evening and travel through the night.

You may want a friend or other driver to accompany you, though I have done the journey by myself and slept ovenright in my van on the buyers field....

But then I do love a long drive in my van....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 01:12:38 pm »
All good stuff above. Remember towing and trailer test requirements apply to everyone. As we approach autumn sheep sales time there will be a lot of stock moving around so if you can wait a bit I'm sure that you can get on a transport wagon. Perhaps make some enquiries with your local auction or auction in Norfolk area.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:18:13 pm »
I am wanting a single rare breed cow moving 177 miles. I was quoted the standard price of £1/mile there and back ie £375. I expected to pay a lot less as I wasn't wanting an exclusive return journey for one animal. So I went on Facebook - Animal Hauliers forum and got quoted half that, ie for a one way journey, as the driver was coming up to my area anyway to collect some sheep.
So it's well worth asking around in the relevant place.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS