Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wrong fuel  (Read 2580 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Wrong fuel
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:02:01 am »
Motors are not my forte. This morning I inadvertently used petrol in my chain saw. I usually use Aspen two stroke. It only occurred to me when I’d finished. The chain saw ran smoothly just the same. Any thoughts?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Wrong fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 11:14:25 am »
Did you put straight petrol in or 2 stroke mix in ? If straight petrol and you haven't used it for too long you might get away with draining it out and refilling with some aspen and running that through until it runs out , then back to aspen. Then its a matter of waiting to see, you wont know if there has been any lasting damage until it either dies or you check the cylinder bore for scoring

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 12:46:27 pm »
I used straight petrol. Would you have expected it to run as well as usual? I have to admit that I have no idea how to go about checking the cylinder bore for scoring. I'll see try your other suggestions though - thank you.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 01:52:16 pm »
straight petrol will let it run ok but without the required lubrication, this leads to wear in the cylinder , on the upside the spark plug will be a bit cleaner !
Checking the cylinder would either require disassembly or an endoscope to inspect the bore .
Hopefully you may have got away with it more so if its a quality machine.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 04:32:03 pm »
You don't say, PK, how long the saw was running on pure 4-star.  However, nothing you can do about it now.
You are likely to have shortened the life of the saw's engine to some degree or another, but all you can do is use it (with your usual 2-stroke mix) and see how long the saw performs as you would like across the revs range.
It's a shame you misfueled, but just forget about and get on with it. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:43:06 pm by arobwk »

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 04:44:35 pm »
Thank you, that’s informative. I’m not overly perturbed. It’s a Makita which I’ve had from new about 4 years ago, and not one I would recommend. The chain becomes loose every few minutes and the casing rattles loose and I have to remember to tighten the fixing nut before it comes away completely. I’ll be looking out for a real one soon.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 10:30:09 am »
Its the bottom end too dont forget - the fuel is vaporized and pulled through the crankcase and lubricates the crank, bottom end and the top end etc etc

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 02:12:28 pm »
Its the bottom end too dont forget - the fuel is vaporized and pulled through the crankcase and lubricates the crank, bottom end and the top end etc etc
?????????????? :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS