Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oral Metacam  (Read 1658 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Oral Metacam
« on: August 01, 2020, 09:05:24 am »
Just wondered if anyone had used oral Metacam for their sheep instead of the injectable? I didn't know it was available, my vet said it is normally for horses. Thank you.
4 pet sheep

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Oral Metacam
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:25:04 am »
No painkillers are licensed for sheep but can be prescribed under the cascade system, which is normally injectable. Getting them to eat it will be the most difficult thing. At least with injectables you know they’ve had it. Follow what you vet says though if they’ve offered it you could try it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:21:14 pm by twizzel »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 10:14:09 am »
Be really careful with dosage rates. I once made a throwaway comment to the vet's receptionist about how a dose for a sheep was far cheaper than what we'd just bought from the other vet for our cat. Her reply was "don't even be tempted - the concentration is wildly different, and you'll have a dead cat"!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 03:17:42 pm »
When I told the vet I had some oral metacam for the dogs and could I give it to a lamb the answer was no and he put up a syringe for me to collect.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 03:41:30 pm »
When I told the vet I had some oral metacam for the dogs and could I give it to a lamb the answer was no and he put up a syringe for me to collect.

Same here : and our vets are farm vets so I am inclined to trust their call on this.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:04:40 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I just stick with the injectable Metacam after all!
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS