Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dumped Ducks?  (Read 4943 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Dumped Ducks?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 05:19:35 pm »
I was about to post much the same as harmony, at least as regards the large duck at the rear of the cluster with definite edge to head colouration.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 05:22:30 pm by arobwk »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 10:54:32 am »
I think you have two drakes and possibly a third. The ones to the left could be this years hatch. They are all old enough to sex. I would say the one at the back and one far right are drakes then possibly the one far left. You might find some of the others are too. How many "quackers" have you got?

OK, The one furthest right is definitely a drake and the one at the back with the grey head and olive beak might also be. The problem is, when I picked them up to worm them last night, they all decided to remain silent "don't squeak Bill, or they'll put you in a rice pancake!".

I'm still really hoping we have one drake and six ducks though. I mean, if we had hatched them, it would undoubtably be the other way around..... so both genetics and karma therefore dictate that other people must be hatching predominantly females, right?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 11:08:19 am »
Take the one you pick up away from the others. That often makes them open their bills. Do it in the morning then you can release them as you sex them. Any you get no response from listen as you release them.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 08:20:05 pm »
OK, I've given them all a gentle squeeze: Two drakes and five ducks. The one with the grey head and olive bill is a fella as well.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 08:38:37 pm »
That's not too bad surely:  might have been 7x dumped drakes to save someone the task of culling them.  I imagine the freezer will remain at present state for now. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 10:20:01 pm »
We'll probably put one in the freezer at some point, but he can stay for a while until he puts some weight on. I don't know when they were dumped, but they're all pretty thin TBH.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2020, 09:59:24 pm »
They'll take a while to bulk up unless you give them extra feed so plan on him being Christmas dinner  :innocent: :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2020, 08:10:15 am »
plan on him being Christmas dinner

.....for one!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS