Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injecting pigs  (Read 2047 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Injecting pigs
« on: July 17, 2020, 11:17:03 pm »
Tomorrow morning I need to administer two injections to a large senior Saddleback boar.  Now, one injection I have delivered in the past but I tend to find that makes a pig a bit wary of a repeat experience.,  Any tips welcome.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Injecting pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 09:15:00 am »
Do you have anyway to make a crush? Hurdle attached to a gate, run pig in, fasten back of hurdle across to fence post with a chain.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:04:34 am »
Do you have anyway to make a crush? Hurdle attached to a gate, run pig in, fasten back of hurdle across to fence post with a chain.

I am busy condtructing such a thing right now. Thanks for your support!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 04:03:22 pm »
My friend had a permanent race with catching arrangement at the end but he did have a lot of pigs. The race was large pig board width. The hurdle was on a metal pin welded to the gate at the end of the race, probably half way along along it. The chain was permanently fixed to the hurdle and it attached to the wall at the other side. The hurdle swung on the metal pin so you could catch a big pig or a smaller one to inject, tag, etc.

Hope it goes well  :fc:

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 07:45:12 pm »
Hope it goes well  :fc:

Thank you Harmony.

I set up a hurdle fastened to two well sunk fence posts about two feet away from a strong fence.  I put a small hinged hurdle over the exit end and set up a funnel into the other.  I fastened a small food bowl half-way up the hinged hurdle so the pig's head would be up to make injecting behind the ear easier.  I know it is all common sense really but I was anxious he would become distressed by an injection.

When I slid in the first giant needle he did not bat an eyelid so I was able to administer the second one shortly after.  he decided to back out of the race, rather than proceed out of the provided exit, in spite of having a dodgy leg which is the reason for the antibiotic and pain killer.  Hopefully tomorrow he will associate this set up with good things, ie food, rather than being repeatedly stabbed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS