Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Improving body condition  (Read 1124 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Improving body condition
« on: July 15, 2020, 10:46:48 pm »
Since shearing one of my ewes is looking pretty thin. She is 10 and a half and never had any lambs. I haven't had to give her any supplementary food other than hay in the winter. So I was wondering what would be the best food to improve her body condition and how much to give her? I've just sent off for a worm and fluke test, but I think those will prove negative as I only did a worm test about 6 weeks ago.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:49:49 pm by moprabbit »
4 pet sheep

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Improving body condition
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 06:59:52 am »
I would say that if she is 10 and never had any lambs she should be very overweight or carrying a decent amount anyway. What are her teeth like - does she even have any?

I think 10 is a very good age for a sheep, sadly as they get older, their health starts to fail :/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 07:30:02 am »
It could a lot of things other than old age, Johne's being one of them. If she is not used to eating concentrates you may struggle to get her to eat "new" stuff, but I would try some soaked sugar beet shreds, grass nuts, readigrass - do you have a treat that they normally like?

I have had good success with getting a couple of my goats that are struggling to eat post kidding, with a propylene glycol drench that they actually suck off the syringe - it is called "Selekt", and has additional stuff in it to encourage them to eat again.

If her teeth are still ok (I have a 10yo Shetland ewe with a full mouth), then willow branches, or ther young branches (soft wood) as well as rosebay willowherb will be liked.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 09:34:18 am »
Agree with other comments at this time of year she should be fat  on good grass , so i would be looking at front teeth ,are they missing or loose ? are the cheek teeth all there ,not loose or in flamed ( DO NOT PUT A FINGER IN TO CHECK )  if all look ok then internal parasites and if you think all is well then internal organ problems or disease  ,sorry . Most older sheep problems are teeth related  :sheep:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 12:26:47 pm »
Thank you for all your replies. All her teeth are fine and she's eating well, so I'm suspecting something internal is most likely to be the problem. I'm having the vet out to her  and I'll see what he has to say about her. Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS