Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fleecewife's new dogs  (Read 5405 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Fleecewife's new dogs
« on: June 27, 2020, 02:10:46 pm »
 :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: Fleecewife's new dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 02:12:06 pm »
Seriously, very :excited: and :yippee: for you [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] - but v v v v keen to see pics and hear all about them!   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 03:53:37 pm »
Well that's forced my hand  :roflanim:

May I introduce our two new dogs, Mia and Sophie.  Our last dogs, Lucy and Rip, cross terriers, both died of old age earlier this year (14 and 16).  I was told 'no more dogs', but that didn't stop me looking.  I had seen Sophie and Mia already on one of the rehoming sites near us, but they were advertised as being unsuitable to share with other pets.  Then we had lockdown and the rehoming places were shut down too.  It seemed like forever before we were able to go to visit them, but it was mutual love straight away, so we brought them home.
Their back story is that they are mother and daughter and had belonged to a man who could no longer cope with life or with them, so he had to hand them in.  That must be the most painful thing to do.
Mia is thought to be a Staffie cross Lab, 10yo, and her daughter Sophie is a Pointer cross.
They had been waiting to be rehomed for just short of a year.  No matter how good the kennel maids are and how much they love them, it has to be a jail sentence for the dogs.  I had been struck by the sad and lacklustre look in Sophie's eyes on their rehoming photos, and it was my aim to get them bright and happy asap.  After 48 hours I can truly say that Sophie is bright, alert and happy, confident and enjoying life again.  Mia had not suffered so much I think and is a bit goofy and just wants to be stroked and cuddled.
I am so pleased to have been able to bring them home at last.  I must admit I'm knackered, as two middle aged dogs have a whole load more energy and oomph than two little terriers on their last legs, who were happy with a couple of short runs a day and wanted to spend the rest of their time snoozing  ;D

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:49:23 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:00:49 pm »
This is the dogs haring around in their new collars then relaxing on their new bed.  Geese just to show we still love our livestock  ;D   That tennis ball is a giant one so don't be fooled - the dogs are bigger than they look.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:21:21 pm by Fleecewife »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 04:25:41 pm »
They look very much at home, FW. :dog: ;D

Tell us about them..........

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 04:44:20 pm »
 :love: :love: :love: :love:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 05:20:15 pm »
Oh I am so pleased for you and them.  They have a lot of safe space to run around in.  I wonder if perhaps teh recue people would pass on a message to their previous owner to let him/her know how happy they are and perhaps even give him/her pictures?
If I had to give up my dogs for any reason I would certaily appreciate knowing they were loved.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 05:29:08 pm »
Oh, they look great, and so settled with you already :) 

Staffie x Lab and Staff x Lab x Pointer - sound like fun dogs.  :love: :dog:

I am sooooo glad you got your way and have some furry friends again (to go with the woolly and feathered ones, lol.)  And it's lovely when older dogs get a nice home to live out their days <3

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 11:57:49 pm »
Oh I am so pleased for you and them.  They have a lot of safe space to run around in.  I wonder if perhaps teh recue people would pass on a message to their previous owner to let him/her know how happy they are and perhaps even give him/her pictures?
If I had to give up my dogs for any reason I would certaily appreciate knowing they were loved.

We promised the girls we would send pics once the dogs were settled and we will ask them to pass them on to the previous owner - good idea  :thumbsup:  They said that for the first few months he would come in from time to time to visit his dogs, but then he stopped coming.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:08 am »
They look very much at home, FW. :dog: ;D

Tell us about them..........

Yes, sorry - I'm not very good at posting pics so I checked they had come through before I wrote the post.  If you go back to the first pics you'll see I have written a short piece about the dogs and how we got them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 12:07:25 am »
The dogs showed some interest in the sheep at first but were met with complete indifference  ::)  They seem to just see them as unwanted intruders in 'their' space, not worthy of a reaction. The geese scuttle away from them gossiping loudly while the hens all display the total indignation that only a hen can truly express  :hughen:   They haven't come across the hares yet.

We hope that eventually we can have the dogs loose amongst the livestock safely, as all our previous (9) dogs have been, and we are training hard for that.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 11:00:33 am »
They are lovely, congratulations!!  :thumbsup: Lucky dogs have landed well and truly on their feet with you!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 12:48:00 pm »
Arrrr,  lucky girls that you found them.
I hope that they settle quickly into smallholding life and that they bring you much pkeasure, FW.
Keep us updated with their progress, please.  :dog: :excited: :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS