Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Real basic question - what is "standing straw" exactly?  (Read 3168 times)

Jay2

• Joined Aug 2019
Real basic question - what is "standing straw" exactly?
« on: June 24, 2020, 08:43:01 pm »
I'm sure somebody on here can enlighten me as I can't find an explanation on google. I see a lot of auctions advertised for standing straw around abouts. Is this just the remaining straw after the wheat/barley/oats etc has already been collected? And if so, why is it " standing", wouldn't it  be cut and lying down if the cereal's seed head has already been harvested?
Sorry this is such a basic question but I don't know any arable farmers to ask!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Real basic question - what is "standing straw" exactly?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:11:57 am »
You dont mean 'standing hay', do you???
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 11:33:26 am »
Maybe it means straw balled but still in the field.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 12:03:35 pm »
I suspect it does mean the stalks still in the ground.  Will get ploughed in if no-one wants to buy it and bale it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:14:41 pm »
A standing crop has not been harvested.  Most likely the crop has droughted off and would cost more to combine than it will fetch when sold so selling for someone to cut and bale for bedding/feeding to stock.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 04:30:01 pm »
Straw from crops not yet harvested, the buyer arranges baling and removal of straw once the crop has been combined, and normally pays by the acre. Once it’s combined it’s normally sold by the tonne/bale.

Jay2

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 11:11:39 am »
Thanks for the replies, yes maybe the one about baling it for straw if the crop is not good enough would seem to make sense. I will ask around some more. The few farmers I know are livestock/dairy and only cut for silage.
Very excited this morning - our first pigs are coming at lunchtime! The smallholding experience starts today.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 07:58:48 am »
It means that the crop is yet to be harvested. As this is advertised as standing straw, and not wheat, I would imagine the farmer will harvest the wheat himself and whoever buys the straw will be responsible for baling it up and moving themselves.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS