Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinating smallholding cats?  (Read 6922 times)

Robb

• Joined Oct 2019
Vaccinating smallholding cats?
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:54:03 am »

Hi
what do most people do? Not intending to ever use a cattery but should I still have my cats vaccinated?
If so, what particular vaccinations are best?
Robb

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Vaccinating smallholding cats?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 11:27:04 am »
My old cat (aged 20) died a couple of weeks ago, never had jabs while i had him, but he had the basic ones as a kitten i believe (got him from a friend)

I'm thinking of getting another one from Cats Protection when they reopen, and I think they insist on the first ones - biut whether they check annually or not I don't know
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:57:13 am »
I’m not going to.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
My cats are all semi feral and from the cats protection, I think they have at least one injection of vaccs done then they are neutered. I've never asked because mine are a bit wild and couldn't be cought!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 04:06:25 pm »
There is much debate on this subject but the new thinking is that once a dog or cat is vaccinated (puppy or kitten plan) and has its first booster a year later they may not need further vaccinations. Other advice includes vaccinating every three years. Vaccinating is a real money-spinner so it is hard to get the real answer.

I think giving a kitten its shots and then the appropriate booster seems about right for a farm cat. I would not have an outdoor cat without at least giving it shots for FIV.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 08:21:44 pm »
All my dogs and cats get theirs when young and that is that. We have had cats 17/18 years old and dogs 13 to 16 years old. We get someone in to look after our animals when we go away. Cheaper than kennels.

Robb

• Joined Oct 2019
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:02:26 pm »
Thanks for the input

Just rounding off what I decided to do if anyone looks subsequently at thread.

On basis of input from this site - and reading round the interweb - i decided I would get them the initial vaccination and booster but decide after that decide whether to continue

Many thansk to accidental smallholder people

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 05:32:03 pm »
Sorry, coming to this a bit late.

I thought that there wasn't a vaccination for FIV in cats available in the UK.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 06:09:38 pm »
There is no vaccine available currently in the UK. A vaccine is used in the United States, but it is not reliable and it does not work against all the types of FIV. It also poses problems for vets because a vaccinated cat will test positive for FIV.
It doesn't necessariily reduce lifespan, but they are prone to other infections that could kill, and mustn't be fed raw foods such as eggs and meat in case of bacteris getting into them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 08:29:28 pm »
Thank you Doganjo for clarifying that.

Mine is vaccinated but I thought that the vet had said there wasn't a vaccine for FIV.
Thought there might have been a new vaccine introduced when binread this thread.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 09:22:35 pm »
I must admit it was about a year and a half ago that I asked my vet about this so things may have changed

violetgarlic

• Joined Aug 2020
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 06:22:00 am »
I didn't vaccinate my cat because we live in the apartment but since we are moving to the house, I think that I need to vaccinate him because he can walk outside

smallholder147

• Joined Aug 2020
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 10:14:55 am »
Hi I was reading your post because I had the same problem weeks ago. I didn't know what is neccessary. But now I know, cats should be at least protected against cat disease (feline parvovirus). Mostly cats received combination vaccines against epidemic and cold. The disease vaccines are also very related.

It is recommended to vaccinate cats in any case against cat disease and cat flu, as well as in outdoor animals against rabies. Further vaccinations against leukosis and "Feline Infectious Peritonitis" (= FIP) can be given if necessary.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 08:23:52 am »
How come cats have managed for hundreds of years but now they need all these jabs? Has the life expectancy increased much?

In particular, do outdoor cats really need a rabies jab?
Has anyone contracted rabies via their cat in the Uk? Or is this perceived problem?

Im sure vaccines saved some lives but I’ve talked to too many old people who told me about really old cats, dogs and horses they’d had until the animals were old. They talked about animals being inherited by other family members and then being  passed to them. When I looked at the human death certificates of my family this equates to these two cats being nineteen. Ponies of 35.
They do/did all agree spaying females was a blessing when it became available.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 09:41:34 am »
I guess it's the old argument of "my grandad ate fatty bacon and smoked 20 fags every day and lived to 99". There are always exceptions. Mine have an annual health check and vaccinated for FeIV and other stuff. So are the dogs (not FIV obvs). Ponies done for tet every two years (not flu).
You pays your money and you takes your chances. I vaccinate sheep every year. Why would I not protect my pets?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS