Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags, pigs and sheep  (Read 1829 times)

Robb

• Joined Oct 2019
Ear tags, pigs and sheep
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:05:48 am »
Hi
realise that this info is around in various sites, but have got confused by multiple advice and hoped someone moight help me with a simple answers? Many thansk if possible.

1. I have a couple of weaners who I will be taking to slaughter later in year before they are 12 months old, whta tags must I have to satisfy the abbatoir etc, will aluminium ones suffice? Is that simply one in one ear?

2. When I look at tags on line they only seem to come in numbers that would supply my granchildren as well as me and the few animals I intend t have over next couple of years - is this just a standard thing, no way around it? (Fine if it is, just didn't want to miss something obvious)

3. Are applicators different for pigs and sheep? I have a couple of old ewes who are not going anywehre but instead cut the grass but one has lost tags she arrived with. Will I need different applicators for both animals

Many thanks for any advice
Robb

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Ear tags, pigs and sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:57:53 am »

Fearing sell tags in tens. If you get button tags then you should be able to use same applicator for sheep and pigs.

Yes, one tag for your finished pigs. Yes, metal ones ok but then the applicator wont do your sheep.

Missing tag for sheep - you can get a replacement so don't need to buy minimum number.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 09:09:06 pm »
Pigs under 12 months don't actually need to be tagged. They do need to be slap marked with your herd number before they go to the abattoir.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:21:27 pm »
Pigs under 12 months don't actually need to be tagged. They do need to be slap marked with your herd number before they go to the abattoir.

Pigs under 12 months of age do not need tags to move from one holding to another. They can complete that move on a temporary mark. For slaughter they need a tag OR a slapmark or you could do both.

Robb

• Joined Oct 2019
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:04:04 pm »
Thank you to everyone who supplied advice, very useful - as ever on accidnetal smallholder - and I am very grateful

Jay2

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 04:57:23 pm »
I have also found the LazarTags site sells metal tags for slaughter that they sell in packs of 10 and are hand applied and so do not require you to spend out on an applicator tool.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS