Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pole dovecote  (Read 2269 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Pole dovecote
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:39:51 am »
Instead of chickens for meat and eggs we want to have a go at keeping pigeons

I don’t want to be tied down to not being able to go outa town without having someone to look after anything.

Doves/pigeons look after themselves don’t need any feeding or anything, and with a pole dove cote you can just lower it down when you want to take out squabs and eggs then raise it back up for them to replace them for you.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Re: Pole dovecote
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:55:59 am »
I keep pigeons and they do need a fair bit of looking after feeding worming treating for lice etc if I just left mine in a dove cote the sparrow hawk would have a feild day

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 03:29:32 pm »
Have you ever been invited for Sunday dinner?  :roflanim:  Not sure i could eat seagull.  Mind you, like everything else I'm not sure about someone will say it just tastes like chicken  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 04:05:41 pm »
Have you ever been invited for Sunday dinner?  :roflanim:  Not sure i could eat seagull.  Mind you, like everything else I'm not sure about someone will say it just tastes like chicken  :roflanim:

Once upon a time I imagine seagull meat would likely taste pretty fishy and oily, but I imagine it now tastes more like a McDonald's with ketchup!   :D

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 06:55:16 pm »

Once upon a time I imagine seagull meat would likely taste pretty fishy and oily, but I imagine it now tastes more like a McDonald's with ketchup!   :D
It is disgusting and like penguin you end up with some grey stuff in a sea of fat

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 01:19:41 pm »
Instead of chickens for meat and eggs we want to have a go at keeping pigeons

I don’t want to be tied down to not being able to go outa town without having someone to look after anything.

Doves/pigeons look after themselves don’t need any feeding or anything, and with a pole dove cote you can just lower it down when you want to take out squabs and eggs then raise it back up for them to replace them for you.

I would suggest that if you don't want to be tied down, nor have someone looking after the birds in your absence and you really believe that any form of livestock will look after themselves and not need feeding, that you'd be better sticking to your walnut and plum trees. :thinking:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 03:22:03 pm »
I've read all of [member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] 's posts and it does seem as if he is looking for something that takes little time and caring for it, and is an easy way of making money.  Not the way most smallholders think as far as I know
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 04:31:26 pm »
I keep many breeds of pigeon including table breeds but they aren't low maintenance or cheap to keep and breed properly. Squabs from any old regular breed wouldn't be worth the effort and table breeds barely fly, they are more like chickens so need to be housed rather than a dovecote. Dovecotes themselves are not ideal pigeon accommodation anyway, they look nice but are totally impractical in my opinion. The birds are likely to disappear and use a neighbours barn to breed where you won't then find the squabs!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 04:48:33 pm »
I've read all of [member=144981]Orinlooper[/member] 's posts and it does seem as if he is looking for something that takes little time and caring for it, and is an easy way of making money.  Not the way most smallholders think as far as I know

Yup, definitely not a way to look at things that involve sentient creatures.

Orinlooper may be better to switch his/her thoughts to meeting the market demand for locally produced vegan foods.  No sentient beings there, you can neglect them to your heart's content...

(Edited to add that I did not mean to imply that vegans are not sentient, rather that they won't eat things which were sentient, or were produced from sentient beings.  But I decided to leave the wording as originally written, cos it made me giggle.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:50:53 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS