Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing new goats  (Read 1306 times)

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
Introducing new goats
« on: May 31, 2020, 02:22:43 pm »
Hi.  I have two Golden Guernseys crosses, a nanny and her two year old wether.  The wether is going to be replaced by another two, one year old  GG nannies.  Would it be better to get rid of the wether first or after introducing them.  I intend to quarantine them in a field shelter within sight of the other nanny but will she still feel abandoned if the wether’s gone, even though she can see the other two, or would it be better to leave the nanny and wether together until the other two are acclimatised and then move the wether away?  Also, my present nanny is bigger than the other two nannies and horned.  Need some advice about how to introduce them.  Many thanks

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Introducing new goats
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:46:00 pm »
I'm not sure why the wether has to go? But in any case I would keep the two origional goats in a field adjoining the new goats for a few weeks to let them get to know each other through the fence. When you eventually let them mix you will probably find the two sets of goats maintaining good social distancing (with the occasional spat) for some time.

Once they are all getting on well I would take away the wether - or keep him..

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 05:12:46 pm »
Are the new girls horned? It is strongly recommended you do not keep horned and dehorned (and polled) goats together. Other than that when I introduce goats (after quarantine) I just let them share a fenceline for a week or so and then let them in together. They will sort out their hierarchy. Because the top goats often guard access to shelters make sure you have more than one shelter for them.

Some links for you with info on honred and dehoroned goats. Hope this helps! Good luck!

https://www.britishgoatsociety.com/services/keeping-goats/

https://www.animalwelfarefoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/An-Introduction-to-Goat-Keeping.pdf

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 06:24:27 pm »
If this is your wether that was gettting antsy, I would remove him before introducing the new girls, just takes away another chance of fighting.

If your current girl is disbudded then it may be asking for trouble introducing her to horned new goats though.... people do keep horned with disbudded goats, but only when they have grown up together, never wear collars and have enough room to keep separate.

I would house all the goats together in one shed, but with different pens, initially with a gap between the pens , then just a hurdle bewteen them, then sharing a hayrack. I wouldn't let them outside for at least a week, just so they get used to the idea of sharing the space, and for the new girls to get the idea of where "home" is.

It really depends on the character of the individual goats, some will b eok with newcomers sooner than others.

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 07:41:33 pm »
Hi Anke.  Yes, this is the goat that was getting feisty and he stood up to me the other day which was not appreciated so he’s going to another home and I’m replacing him with two nannies.  Your advice is greatly appreciated

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 07:46:39 pm »
Thanks BJ for your advice. It’s similar to that from Anke and it was along the lines of what I was thinking.  The wether has to go unfortunately because he’s started bullying his mother and butting me.  The other day he stood up to me so I’m not sure how he’s going to react with two more goats.  He’s bigger than the ones coming.  It’s unfortunate because he’s a sweet affectionate goat but I can’t risk him hurting the others.  I bought him in the early days when I knew very little about goats and in retrospect I shouldn’t have got two horned ones.  But hindsight is a wonderful thing

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 07:52:12 pm »
Thank you Roddycm for your advice and the links.  They are very useful.  As I explained to BJ I got the goats in the early days when I didn’t really know what I was doing and in hindsight I wouldn’t buy horned goats again.  I value your advice which is much the same as Anke’s and BJ’S and I will put it into practice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS