Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trying to control algae growth in a water tank ?  (Read 17783 times)

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
Trying to control algae growth in a water tank ?
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:13:46 pm »
I'm trying to stop algae growth in a see through water container used for supplying water for some outdoor pigs. If I paint the container solid black will it stop the algae growth? Also would it be ok if I left a bit unpainted so I can easily check the water level? The bit unpainted will be a very narrow strip on a side facing away from the direct sunlight and also often in the shade unlike the other sides of the container. Thanks

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Trying to control algae growth in a water tank ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:04:00 pm »
Stopping light getting in by painting will indeed curb algae growth (not totally stop it). As for seeing the water level inside. Could you not drill a hole in the side at the bottom and fit a vertical clear tube to show the level? Bit like the tubes that are fitted to heating oil tanks in gardens.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:40:43 pm »
Stopping light getting in by painting will indeed curb algae growth (not totally stop it). As for seeing the water level inside. Could you not drill a hole in the side at the bottom and fit a vertical clear tube to show the level? Bit like the tubes that are fitted to heating oil tanks in gardens.

What you are suggesting sounds like more work, I think it will be ok as like I said its on the side facing away from direct sunlight and is even in the shade for most of the day. Also I have some barley straw in the container which apparently curbs algae. If the clear strip seems to be a problem I can always paint over it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:51:38 pm by Hogwarts »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:41:59 pm »
You'll get a good enough idea of how much water is in the tank by knocking/tapping on the outside, then listening to the change in sound.  Also you can often see a line of demarcation with condensation on the outside where there is water, but none above.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 07:56:41 am »
You could also cut a block of polystyrene and stick a long piece of cane or wire into it. This can float on top of the water and poke through a small hole you drill in the screw top. As the water level falls so does the float, so shows less of the cane/wire out the top. You could mark off calibrations on it if desired. It may need some adjustment inside to keep it central but should work if you want to keep as much light out as possible.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 10:30:46 am »
I don't think the narrow unpainted strip will be a problem Hogwarts. We have black, green and concrete water butts here, all without lids and they don't go green.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:36:58 pm »
Barley straw only works to control algae is it is removed and fresh put in at regular intervals, otherwise it too becomes a breeding ground for undesireables.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 06:27:16 pm »
I too suspect painting your tank [member=196811]Hogwarts[/member] will give you the water quality you desire for your pigs (assuming the paint will stay stuck to your tank):  however, there may well be safe chemical additives you might also .. um .. add if you remain unhappy. 
I seem to recall there were products for helping keep fish tanks clear when, long time ago, I kept tropicals:  of course the fish were not for human consumption idc, unlike your pigs.

However, thinking aloud here, would something like 'Citrox P' (the concentrated version of Citrox horticultural disinfectant) be OK for the pigs' drinking water ?  Warning (!) - I DON'T KNOW, but Citrox (from Agrilan) is touted as curbing algal growth in water tanks with as low a concentration as 1 ltr 'Citrox P' to 100,000 litres (repeat 100,000 ltrs) of water = very diluted !!

Citrox is derived from citrus oils with added "biodegradable surfactants":  I have no idea what those biodegradable surfactants might be though !!

So, again, I'm just thinking aloud:  if I had live-stock & was about to consider the above for my own purposes, I would definitely talk to Agrilan first before dosing my animals' drinking water with 'Citrox P'! 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 08:45:05 pm »
Agae won't hurt them. It'll prob give them some more vitamins. Since when have pigs only drunk the purest clearest water?  :innocent: I've used tanks where the water goes green for years with no ill effect. However, if you do paint the entire tank black, it's easy to tell when the level's getting low as the water comes out a lot slower so that gives you some warning. But also you just feel the tank itself. on a hot day the water feels cooler than the empty tank above and on a cold day the water keeps its heat and feels warmer, so you can definitely tell where the water level is. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 12:49:52 am »
One concern with painting it black, the water will heat up, could get quite hot on a sunny day, depending how much sun it gets.
I have an IBC, and slid some old lino type flooring down the sides, inside the frame.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 06:34:41 am »
You might not be able to get the paint to adhere to the tank. I think the material is polypropylene and if so in the car industry, where they use it to make bumpers, the surface has to be flame oxidised.

Perhaps you could slide black plastic sheet down the sides of the frame?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 04:54:35 pm »
You might not be able to get the paint to adhere to the tank. I think the material is polypropylene and if so in the car industry, where they use it to make bumpers, the surface has to be flame oxidised.

Or is there anything that is black one side and white the other - black on the inside to stop teh a;lgae forming and white on the outside to reflect the sun?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 05:42:24 pm »

Or is there anything that is black one side and white the other - black on the inside to stop teh a;lgae forming and white on the outside to reflect the sun?

There used to be some plastic sheeting (I think for growing strawberries), that was black/white.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 05:47:57 pm »
Search
extruded black white polythene

EBay offers quite a few.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS