Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First go at canning.  (Read 4157 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
First go at canning.
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:46:56 am »
I've wanted to have a go at canning for years but cost of the equipment and having an induction hob put me off. This year though, it seemed like a sensible time to give it a try. I'd have loved an All American 921 canner but with the current exchange rate, they're crazy expensive after import duties and they don't work on induction hobs. In fact, I've only found one that does, the Presto 23 quart induction model, which I bought through Ebay with shipping and import duties included and which came to £130. As it needs a sealing ring, I bought a spare for that to keep in a drawer and the variable pressure weight too.

[member=28519]cloddopper[/member] put up a load of very useful information in another post on pressure canning and it was that post that introduced me to Weck jars, so I bought a selection of them along with the seals and clips, which should last me for years.

I have the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving for recipes and guidance and watched my way through a variety of YouTube videos, and this one by Jamie of Guildbrook Farm was particularly well done, it's a little over an hour long but it goes into pretty much everything you need to know along with the do's and particularly the don'ts. They have some more specific videos on canning particular things but this one if the best overview I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0CzxBnKoY&t=3s

So, where to start. Well, I wanted to do something simple and cheap, so a sack of local spuds seemed like a good option. Again I followed a video from Guildbrook Farm specifically on canning potatoes and had the ball book to hand.

The basic process is simple: peel and cube the potatoes, then blanche them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, drain and pack into jars. Cover with boiling water, put on the lids, seals and clips, pop into a pressure canner, bring up to pressure and cook for 40 mins at 10 pounds pressure, then turn off and leave for the pressure to come down. Take the jars out and leave overnight to cool, check the seals and remove the clips. Stick on a shelf in the cupboard and use when needed.

So, I now have 5 litres of canned potatoes. They've expanded a bit and absorbed most of the water so I imagine they'll be like mash when they come out, I'll probably open one this weekend and see how it turns out.

Looks like an interesting summer ahead as I built our polytunnel at the start of lockdown and we've already got a couple of dozen tomato plants in there along with melons, squash, chillies, cucumbers etc. and that, along with a couple of pigs, some sheep and, if I'm stealthy enough, some venison, means I should be busy :D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:48:50 am by Justin »

JC27

• Joined Sep 2020
Re: First go at canning.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:05:42 am »
Can anyone help in sourcing quart Ball jars in the UK

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS