Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedge / windbreak that horses won't eat?  (Read 5666 times)

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Hedge / windbreak that horses won't eat?
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:16:09 pm »
Hi all

As above, really! There are horses in the paddock next to mine, behind a post and wire fence. I've planted a few stems of willow, poplar etc. on my side of the fence, but as they grow, I fear the horses will eat them. I even put in a bigger transplanted blackthorn, and the horses pulled it straight out! Is there anything I can plant that they won't eat / kill as soon as it's big enough, or that will survive some rough grazing and still provide some protection from wind?

Thank you. 

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Hedge / windbreak that horses won't eat?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 10:27:49 pm »
Horses are a nightmare for reaching over fences (at least our neighbours have 1 that seems determined to push the fence over).

An electric top wire on the fence is probably the best solution, alternatively a barbed top wire should also work (if only because it will encourage the horse owners to find a solution to keeping the horses from leaning over the fence!)

captainmark

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 06:05:01 am »
we have horses - and new hedges.  completely agree about electric fence. electric rope easiest to use. on top of fence agree as long as fence high enough - if they are big horses (like ours) they can & will reach over and get very close to the hotwire - they know exactly where it is! assume they can't reach through fence? we have extended insulators with rope over the top of hedge, and one in front too as horses our side! Easiest option would be poles within hedge line that have insulators that slide up and down then easy to move as hedge grows - albeit this will cost a little more. link below to the ones we use frequently - they are excellent.  also be careful about who owns the fence before you attach anything - reading between the lines sounds like your neighbours might be a pain?  Ours are - who also have horses but the stupid woman doesn't believe in electric fences as thinks they are cruel!!!  Lets her horses scratch and potentially damage therselves on trees, fences and even an old caravan in the field.  We jointly own the fence and have made very clear she pays for repairs if her horses damage it which a simple hot wire would prevent! I even offered to fit it all up her side to save the grief - but no.  For the horses sake however please don't use barbed wire - your neighbours are unlikely to care IMHO anyway and will therefore prove a waste of time as the horses will probably ignore - and injure themselves. Please also don't for their sake (and yours) plant anything evergreen / poisonous. Or oak / sycamore - horrible death with the latter (not native species anyway). And don't get sheep - ours went to market as they were determined to eat the hedges.  You may also need to think about deer - once they discover your new plants good luck!  https://www.agrisellex.co.uk/collections/white-horse-posts/products/super-plastic-post?variant=7955429392412     https://www.agrisellex.co.uk/collections/rope-and-twine-insulators/products/ranger-off-set-ring-insulator?variant=8004034625564

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:04:37 pm »
Post and wire won't stop them but a six foot hit and miss will at least give your hedge a chance to grow and is arguably the cheapest fence to install. Then you can plant pretty things as well (animal safe of course)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 03:49:48 pm »
Post and wire won't stop them but a six foot hit and miss will at least give your hedge a chance to grow and is arguably the cheapest fence to install. Then you can plant pretty things as well (animal safe of course)

What's a 6ft hit and miss?

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:39:39 pm »
Thanks all, some food for thought there. seems like I might as well plant whatever I can find and see what survives.

Can't have an elec fence, too long and no power or budget!

The fence already in place has a barbed top wire (horse owners happy with this), and touch wood the horses don't seem to be scratching on it. Yet anyway. As and when it rots, I'll look into a hit and miss fence, but I suspect it would be quite pricey- need a 200m run or thereabouts.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 08:13:21 pm »

What's a 6ft hit and miss?
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00hwHiwAziYKwdu4buvlZ-zyUXD6Q:1590606774350&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=hit+and+miss+fencing&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzt4z-39TpAhWGTsAKHUVgDeMQsAR6BAgBEAE&biw=911&bih=438

This is what I have
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 08:16:46 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:23 pm »
Another question-

The grass on our side grows long and lovely, and the horses reach over to crop it. They might even be eating the odd willow by mistake. I could strim the grass so they don't lean over for it, but that might expose the willows etc. to deliberate grazing. Anyone know if a horse would choose willow /pop / wild cherry over long, thick grass?

Thanks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 10:10:54 am »
Probably prefer grass, but some trees are poisonous - yew, oak, acers,  and obviously bracken and ragwort are too.  Perhaps you could suggest to your neighbours that you don't really know what there might be growing along your fence, and that might be a good reason for them to install an electric barrier on their side.

My fence is about 300 metres and cost about £1700 in materials

captainmark

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 05:30:50 pm »
second hand battery, battery energiser hung on it's own earth stake, few insulators and electric rope will cost you less than keep buying new trees. you don't need mains power.  incredibly simple and quick too.  200m is very little. best of you keep as a continuous loop if possible

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 01:43:26 pm »
Probably prefer grass, but some trees are poisonous - yew, oak, acers,  and obviously bracken and ragwort are too.  Perhaps you could suggest to your neighbours that you don't really know what there might be growing along your fence, and that might be a good reason for them to install an electric barrier on their side.

Thanks. Neighbours dont seem inclined to do anything. £1700 for 300m doesnt sound bad, but I'm guessing it took a few days to install?

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 01:46:25 pm »
second hand battery, battery energiser hung on it's own earth stake, few insulators and electric rope will cost you less than keep buying new trees. you don't need mains power.  incredibly simple and quick too.  200m is very little. best of you keep as a continuous loop if possible

Thanks. The trees are free, but I do spend time looking after them. Will look into fencing gubbins, though it's another project I've got no time to do!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 04:48:49 pm »

Thanks. Neighbours dont seem inclined to do anything. £1700 for 300m doesnt sound bad, but I'm guessing it took a few days to install

Two men, 4 days- in pouring rain   :'( - I was moving in and needed it done ASAP to keep my dogs in.  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS