Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear Tags in bought in lambs  (Read 2725 times)

samdunford

• Joined Apr 2018
Re: Ear Tags in bought in lambs
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 09:55:41 pm »
You can still send a sheep for slaughter when it has double tags, ie one yellow EID plus a second  tag of any colour as long as the number matches the EID tag. Thus double tagging all lambs makes life simpler and doesn't compromise the eventual destination, slaughter, retention or breding sale. I find the small extra cost outweighs all other issues.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 12:29:07 pm »
You can still send a sheep for slaughter when it has double tags, ie one yellow EID plus a second  tag of any colour as long as the number matches the EID tag. Thus double tagging all lambs makes life simpler and doesn't compromise the eventual destination, slaughter, retention or breding sale. I find the small extra cost outweighs all other issues.

The issue here is that the lambs have double slaughter tags, which initially the OP thought might not be eid types even though they are yellow. Then the question arose as to whether a slaughter tag has a number other than the flock number (that we can't see) in the chip and therefore would two slaughter tags, same flock number  actually read as two different tags in the one sheep?

Pete2

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 02:42:41 pm »
Hi
Just thought I would bring everyone up to date on the outcome of this..
I contacted ARAMS who were only able to guide me to DEFRA web site but then tried Trading Standards who managed to resolve the problem in the most obviously practical way - by allowing me to remove one of the tags on each lamb.
They want me to keep the removed tags should they need to look at them at a later date, make notes in my holding register explaining what I have done, they will also put notes on file against my holding at their end. At my request they also sent confirmation by email of the above instructions for my files and so the problem has now been solved.

Hopefully, this will give guidance for anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation in the future.
 Thanks all

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 03:10:47 pm »
Problem is only solved if the tag you left in is definitely an EID  tag !! is the tag you have cut out EID ??

Pete2

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 04:07:48 pm »
Both tags are yellow EID tags which was the problem - one has now been removed - problem now 100% resolved.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 04:45:00 pm »
Just out of curiosity,  were their individual numbers on the movement form?

Pete2

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »
No

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS