Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maiden heifer milking  (Read 1709 times)

ferdi

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Devon
Maiden heifer milking
« on: May 16, 2020, 05:40:29 pm »
hi. There
I was wondering if anyone out there had come across my situation.
We have an 18 month old maiden Jersey heifer, she comes on heat regularly and I’m just about to put her to AI for the first time. She shares a field with an older cow that gave birth to twins a month ago. She has played the perfect Auntie role with these new arrivals but I have never seen them try to suckle from her. However in the last five days her tiny udders have been getting harder and while giving her a feel today milk came out. I’m really at a loss to know what I should do.
Separating them isn’t an easy option as I don’t have any other cows for her to run with.
I know goats have phantom pregnancies but has anyone had this in a cow.
Could I start milking her? Have I discovered the holy grail of milk without calving?
Any advice gratefully received

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Maiden heifer milking
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:42:06 am »
Summer mastitis? We had it in a heifer calf once. Or if it’s not that are you sure she’s def not up the duff? Some cows will display heat signs even if in calf. Might be worth the vet to check both?

ferdi

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Devon
Re: Maiden heifer milking
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 03:39:26 pm »
Thought I would update this for future reference for anyone else.
I had the vet round to examine the cow, he confirmed that she was not pregnant and did not have summer mastitis. The only conclusion we could draw was that the calves had tried to suckle from her and had stimulated milk production . So I’m the proud owner of a virgin cow producing milk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS