Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wallows  (Read 2802 times)

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
Wallows
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:48:38 pm »
What are peoples opinions on wallows? I've got some new piglets in my paddock and there all white and getting a little sunburn do you think a wallow is therefore a necessity for me? There is some shade in the corners and they have their ark but not as much as I would like. My previous batch built a small wallow but its all dried up now, should I fill it with water? Or are wallows more about temp regulation than allaying sunburn?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Wallows
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 03:51:33 pm »
Under the new pig welfare guidelines you should protect against sunburn. The easiest way is a wallow. Just add water to the old wallow and they will do the rest. It is about temp control too as pigs very susceptible to overheating.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 04:21:24 pm »
Under the new pig welfare guidelines you should protect against sunburn. The easiest way is a wallow. Just add water to the old wallow and they will do the rest. It is about temp control too as pigs very susceptible to overheating.
This 100% , they will love you for it too

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:05:59 pm »
Hi ,wallows are pretty much essential in hot weather for pigs . Cools them down since they have no sweat glands and doubles as a mud spa for wifey????????
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 10:42:42 pm »
Maybe it's my age, but it took me ages to work out that Jonah's strange uploaded picture was simply upside down !!   :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:48:41 pm by arobwk »

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 05:25:10 am »
Maybe it's my age, but it took me ages to work out that Jonah's strange uploaded picture was simply upside down !!   :D
[/quote

Definitely my age ...picked a picture posted it and it ‘twas upsideydowny! Sorry never quite got past decimalisation. Modern technology.. Not a hope :roflanim:
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 10:42:53 am »
I didn't even see the photo and I'm not even old  :D but I have fixed the problem as its great seeing pigs wallow

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 10:48:46 am »
Hi ,wallows are pretty much essential in hot weather for pigs . Cools them down since they have no sweat glands and doubles as a mud spa for wifey????????

Not just cooling, the mud on their skin acts as a sunblock and helps them not get sunburnt quite so much.

Serious welfare issue.  Pigs need wallows in hot weather.  And fresh drinking water besides.  (They will pee in their wallow and they won't drink soiled water.  Muddy yes, no worries.  Peed or pooped in, no.)

When we get a drought period we have a rota for 3-times-a-day checks to top up the pigs' wallows and drinkers.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 06:56:43 pm »
Wallows are essential but a word of caution if i may. If you have a farrowing sow (especially older sows) that are due to farrow in the next few days or have just farrowed, then be very vigilant for mastitis.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS