Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Baguette recipe anyone?  (Read 4504 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Baguette recipe anyone?
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:16 pm »
children have decided that they'd like baguettes for their packed lunches...anyone got a recipe for the breadmaker please?

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Re: Baguette recipe anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:04:22 pm »
\Take the bread from the breadmaker after the second cycle. Let the dough double in size. Knock it back. Shape it into flutes on a floured tea towel and put the flutes close together with a fold of tea towel in between. this will help them to keep their shape. when doubled in size GENTLY roll the flutes off the tea towel onto baking trays. Brush with Milk or water and bake,

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:49:15 pm »
thak sheila, only problem is that i dont know when my bread has finished it's second cycle.  any ideas?

also, is it just regular dough?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:47:54 pm »
My breadmaker has a recipe for French sticks, but the breadmaker has a special French dough setting, I have used in the past and was fantastic, but it does take a long time! (6 hours!)

1/2 tsp yeast
250g strong white flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
160ml water

divide dough in two and shape and make cuts in top. prove, then brush with egg white and sesame seeds bake 220c for 12 mins.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:08 am »
I think most bread makers are more or less the same. They do a mix and then stop for a period of time. When they start up aagain you should take the bread out after a few minutes and put it to prove. When it has doubled in size you can then shape it as you want. If you want to make authentic french bread then you will need french flour and will need to make the bread in two parts which will take about 12 hours. Personally I would use an ordinary mix if it's for making sandwiches and save the french mix for a special occasion when you have plenty of time.Always use very strong white flour if you are making flutes as it holds up better and NEVER rush the proving on the shaping stage.Better to overprove then under.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:09:44 pm »
would that recipe work for gluten free baguettes, we get the gluten free bread mixes, i was just wondering if i could put one of those in a bread machine and do baguettes?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:20:45 pm »
When baking a small amount of water in a tin at the bottom of the oven to produce steam is supposed to help with the rising.  I have never noticed any difference either way, but it may just be the way I cook.   :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS