Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone know where I can buy wholemeal bread flour online during lockdown?  (Read 1608 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
If you're still struggling then "The Green Grocer" in Inverurie is local to me is an excellent source of high quality, nutritional ingredients and ethically sourced produce.  I don't know if they'll do mail order, but if not, let me know what you're after and I can pick up and post to you.  I've currently got 3 bags in the cupboard all Shipton Mill - "White", "White Spelt" and "3 Malts & Sunflower" from my last trip there.  I know they do spelt and wholemeal there too but not sure exactly which brands as I vary what I buy each time I go in so I can experiment with bread and cakes.  I quite like the Doves Farm wholemeal too.  They do have a page on FB, but don't take orders through it you need to email those.  They've also got a website, but it doesn't look like you can "click buy" there.  Maybe worth a phone call to find out what they have in stock and if they'd post or not.  Let me know if you need my help and I'll be happy to arrange.

Website: http://www.inveruriegreengrocer.co.uk/products.html
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/inveruriegreengrocer/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:11:48 pm by Scarlet.Dragon »
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
Thank you Scarlet Dragon, that's really kind of you to offer  :bouquet: .  My local grocer has come up trumps though, so as well as the Bradshaws flour from Ebay, I now have 2 small bags of Shipton Mill organic stoneground wholemeal bread flour and one bag of Wessex Mill cobber white (malted) plus a promise of bulk sacks as needed and a tin of yeast - pure gold that.  The Shipton Mill stoneground is good, nice and nutty (this morning's loaf was largely that) so I am sorted.  I hadn't realised how stressed I had become during my search, as our diet is very bread based - we don't really go for pasta, and last year's potatoes are finished. So now in the nick of time it's all worked out.  Everyone has been so helpful - thank you  :sunshine:
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
and a tin of yeast - pure gold that.
Yeast? It's in abundance in your wholemeal flour, waiting for you to nurture it! Time to get your sourdough starter started Fleecewife... :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
and a tin of yeast - pure gold that.
Yeast? It's in abundance in your wholemeal flour, waiting for you to nurture it! Time to get your sourdough starter started Fleecewife... :)

Oh I know Dan, and I love sourdough bread, but it's the thought of feeding and nurturing the mother (no I'm not swearing) every day til it's grown before I can use it - all that planning ahead  :o.  Basically, I'm bone idle! Since I bought my first bread maker about 24 years ago I haven't made proper bread (my excuse is that we don't have anywhere warm here to set it to rise).  When I was a child, my Mum and I used to make our bread with real yeast from the baker's in the village, which meant a cycle down to get it, so as soon as I discovered dried yeast I pounced and I haven't looked back.  Sourdough is a whole extra dimension, but I shall have a go one day just to prove I can do it, before the stuff I bought goes out of date.  Mmm a sourdough loaf with chilli and cheese  :yum:
I'll just pop into You Tube to see how it's done.
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

Flour identification

Started by bloomer

Replies: 14
Views: 2575
Last post November 26, 2012, 09:20:44 am
by northfifeduckling
Bread

Started by sabrina

Replies: 7
Views: 5079
Last post November 14, 2008, 06:18:46 pm
by Blinkers
Bread

Started by sabrina

Replies: 62
Views: 13679
Last post March 21, 2014, 11:23:08 pm
by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley
Kingsmill Bread 50/50

Started by jameslindsay

Replies: 22
Views: 8938
Last post August 12, 2009, 08:30:50 pm
by northfifeduckling
CARVING OF THE BREAD

Started by Wizard

Replies: 15
Views: 3826
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:03:26 am
by northfifeduckling

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS