Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat Bullying  (Read 2285 times)

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
Goat Bullying
« on: May 11, 2020, 06:44:05 pm »
Hi.  I have two Golden Guernsey goats, a nanny and her wether kid.  I got them two years ago when the wether was about 10 weeks old.  They have lived happily together for nearly two years .  However, just recently he has begun to bully his mum, running at her and butting her in the stomach. He also prevents her getting to the food.  Mind you, it’s not all one way. I have seen her launch herself at him but it is usually him.  He’s not hurting her but every so often I can hear a clash of horns from the goat paddock.  He is generally more ‘lively’ running up behind me, but not actually butting me.  He still wants cuddles though.  I’m just interested to know whether this is common behaviour and whether it’s going to get worse.  Has anybody had any experience of this behaviour?  Also, while I’m here, does anybody know of anyone with any Golden Guernseys for sale as I’d like to expand the herd.  Thanks

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Re: Goat Bullying
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:59:02 pm »
Hi Festus - when I bought my GGs several years ago they were 6 months old, two doelings and a wether, they came as a package and I had no choice. The boy started bullying one of the girls at about 9 months, with similar behaviour to yours only the girl wasn't fighting back and just looked traumatised and became very scared of him and ill. In the end he went into the freezer I'm afraid.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:07:32 pm »
hi Scarlet Dragon. Thank you for your advice.  I checked whether he’s a proper wether and he is.  His mother is rising 8 and seems to be in season a lot at the moment.  Do you think this could be the cause?

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 03:11:26 pm »
Hi Polyanya.  I am hoping very much that there is a reason why he’s doing this but if not I think he’s probably going to go that way.  The only problem is that, at the moment there are only 2 of them and if one goes . . .  I am looking for some Golden Guernsey does but so far have been unsuccessful.  What is better? A bullied goat who occasionally fights her corner or or lonely doe?

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:08:49 am »
Yeah bit of a dilemma Festus - do they have separate stalls? We built some inside their byre area after the whole bullying saga and I know the main perpetrator has now gone but my goats enjoy the sanctuary it allows them even if I don't close them up. There will always be a queen in a herd, I have one now, the mother and grandmother of the other three female goats I have  and she can get a bit fierce with them all but its only usually a swift nip or headbut. From what I've read, males don't live with the females after they've weaned and gather in male groups only coming together during the mating period. Not much help for you I know but might explain his behaviour a little. Also your last question a lonely doe or a battered one doesn't really have an answer other than probably both as bad. Try sectioning them off in the evening so she at least has a safe area from him with a hurdle perhaps?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 03:14:35 pm »
Hi Polyanya.  I am hoping very much that there is a reason why he’s doing this but if not I think he’s probably going to go that way.  The only problem is that, at the moment there are only 2 of them and if one goes . . .  I am looking for some Golden Guernsey does but so far have been unsuccessful.  What is better? A bullied goat who occasionally fights her corner or or lonely doe?
I do not know where in the country you are, but over the summer there will be kids and other youngstock for sake - best bet would be to either look on preloved (with the caveat that any animals purchased there may not be registered and pure bred GG's, but GG type) or join the Golden Guernsey Goat society and get registered stock.

An 8 yo old female that comes into season at this time of year, and if she does this weekly, I would be inclined to think she has developed uterine cysts, which messes up her hormones, and she would not hold to any mating. Not much you can do about it, a breeder would cull her as she would be driving the resident males (and possibly the human neighbours as well as the breeder) mad with incessant shouting.

Also if you are thinking of getting new stock in, I would only introduce kids at this stage - this way the old girl can be herd queen for a wee bit longer, but she will eventually be forced to let one of the younger ones take that role. My original GG girl lost her position around the age of 6 (to a much bigger and a year younger BT type female, that arrived at the same time as the GG), but the GG girl would not stop fighting and end up with a bloody head all the time - only solution was her own pen and also just going out to graze with the youngstock (separate fields for milkers and youngstock plus Ella), this way she was happy for a few more years. I suspect that is what is going on with your girl.

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 07:24:55 pm »
Thank you Anke for your reply.  I am in the process of trying to find another couple of doelings so Dinky won’t be alone and also because I wanted to expand my herd anyway.  I tried Preloved on your recommendation but only billies were available.  However I’ve posted a Wanted advert so we’ll see what happens.  I have been in touch with the GGGS but it’s a bit early.  I’ll go back in a month to see what there is.  Thank you for your supportive post. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS