Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing for new pig owner  (Read 2073 times)

SuibhneGeilt

• Joined May 2020
Fencing for new pig owner
« on: May 07, 2020, 11:13:32 am »
Hi there. I'm looking at getting two weaners (Tamworth) but don't have an area fenced in yet. We have an old orchard with a couple of apple trees, beach trees etc. so I think it would be perfect, if a little over grown.

My main question is, is electric sheep or poultry netting is enough to keep them in? Or do I need to consider using wired sheep fencing with posts? I doubt they've been trained to electric already, but I think the netting shouldn't take too much training..

I'd prefer the electric netting just for the ease of getting it setup, but I also don't want them to get out because we have a Sitka spruce plantation right beside is, and I can only imagine what kind of a nightmare fetching them back out of that would be.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Fencing for new pig owner
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 06:03:12 pm »
Never used netting before. We only use a single HT wire or polyrope (both connected to electric). For added security you could double them up.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 01:57:39 pm »
I've seen numerous videos on youtube of Americans keeping pigs using only two or three strands of electric wire but they need to be trained first, so if you choose that route you need to train them first. Have them in a secure pen with walls or adequate fencing and an electric wire all around on the inside so they get used to what it is, then you can move them to your orchard.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 06:01:55 am »
I've only ever used electric behind a stock fence - and even then they used to check it several times a day! Loads of people keep them sucessfully behind electric strands, but personally based on my experience I would sleep better knowing they were behind stock fence and electric on the inside

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:33:35 am »
I think it depends what's on the other side of the electric fence!

In our case, if our weaners broke through the electric, they'd just end up in a securely fenced field, so there's really no harm done.

However, if the open road and freedom beckoned, we'd be using something more secure!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS