Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fried bread  (Read 8107 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Fried bread
« on: May 06, 2020, 05:30:07 pm »
Not a recipe;  more a question.

Once a staple in any fry-up during my childhood, I cannot think when the last time I had a bit of fried bread was, but I've been thinking recently to fry up a slice or two (even if for nostalgic reason only).

Anyone here still frying bread slices to go with, for example, their cooked breakfast and are there any tasty favourite variations you might have adopted compared to the de facto white bread in beef dripping? 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Fried bread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 06:50:44 pm »
I occasionally make fried bread, but in my case I use olive oil and serve with grilled tomatoes on top, sometimes bacon too.  Never white bread and beef dripping - sorry  :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:15:11 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:27:37 pm »
Not a recipe;  more a question.

Once a staple in any fry-up during my childhood, I cannot think when the last time I had a bit of fried bread was, but I've been thinking recently to fry up a slice or two (even if for nostalgic reason only).

Anyone here still frying bread slices to go with, for example, their cooked breakfast and are there any tasty favourite variations you might have adopted compared to the de facto white bread in beef dripping?

I have not thought of this for years - and now almost can't stop thinking about it!! Definitely a staple in my childhood too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:48:17 pm »
I very occasionally have a bit of bread fried in the bacon fat after cooking bacon.  So, so :yum: and so, so very bad for me  :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 03:02:56 pm »
That's what I do to - not every time I have bacon and eggs, but it is tasty
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:29:13 pm »
prompted by this post, we had fried bread and egg for lunch; just as delicious as I remember it! Fried bread is way better than toast under a fried egg.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 07:22:55 pm »
Another Q:  how thick are your slices ? 

I'm going to assume that most folk will prefer to slice the bread themselves for frying to give that little extra something to the crunch and colour, but let's use pre-sliced bread as a reasonably standard measure of thickness:  do you prefer thin, medium or thick slices for frying ?

[I would add in passing that I accept no responsibility for any increase in Perris' girth idc.]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:25:30 pm by arobwk »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 09:32:58 pm »
Got to be thick as possible fried in the bacon pan.
In my younger years this would have been out of bounds, now, well we've all got to go some time,may as well go happy.
And far tastier than the daily cocktail of chemicals and behave yourself foods

smallholder147

• Joined Aug 2020
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 11:36:19 am »
I agree with Fleecewife, this is the best way to make fried bread. You do not alwasy need meat to make something taste damn good.

SabineLove33

• Joined Sep 2020
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 10:45:13 am »
I I agree as well.
Fried bread is so tasty! Now when I read this, I realize I should eat this more often. Just because it is so nice. Even when it is not the healthiest food ever.  ::)
I would not use meet for it as well. Just a bit of olive oil or butter.
The idea to serve it with gilled tomatoes is pretty nice. I will try this as well.

Thanks for that inspiration!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 01:25:20 pm »
Gotta be bacon fat or dripping. I'm quite partial to a tattie scone too. :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS