Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel Pride  (Read 17358 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Polytunnel Pride
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 02:11:40 am »
We put up our tunnel ourselves, with no instructions but help from a friend.  We had been advised to concrete in the hoops as we are on a windy site. We measued out the position of the holes very accurately (school geometry was useful for the first time here  ;D) checking that the two diagonals were exactly equal in length.  We (or rather not me but OH and friend) dug out holes about a foot cubed, or maybe slightly deeper then poured in concrete around the poles, checking their exact position again before the dollies (lumps) set.  The base rails were then bolted onto these uprights ready to attach the polythene.  The hoops sit inside the upright poles, and their height can be adjusted to tension the skin.  The ends were attached - ours are wooden framed, but more recent models have better designed ends. Putting on the polythene is easy IF you have an absolutely still day.  Our tunnel is 12' high so to reach the top we had to stand on the roof of a Land Rover (H&S would cringe) to tighten bolts etc.  The cover slid on easily and needs to be tensioned from both ends first, then at the sides once the ends are secured.  It took 4 of us to put the cover on, but now that it is time to change it, we are quite daunted by the prospect and are hoping for help.
It didn't occur to us to pay someone else to put up the tunnel - by doing it ourselves we were able to buy a much larger one than if we had had to spend half our budget on someone else doing it.  By very careful planning everything went well, except the bit where we attached the polythene wrongly to the base rails, so it blew off later, but we did get that right on the second attempt  ;D.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 06:36:11 pm »
Great, I will give it a go then.  Good to know about concreting the posts in.  Thanks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »
we didn't concrete our posts in, our tunnel has metal base plates. This way it counts as a temporary building, as we needed (agricultural) planning permission (because of its size and it sits on section 75 = agricultural use land only = land).

My OH did all the work himself (with the help of a min digger for these holes), and a good number of teas/coffee and cake from me (!), we put the polythene on between the two of us on a very calm early morning, then tightened it when it was really hot at lunchtime, so it was stretched very well. First tunnel instructions are great.

We get strong winds here too, no damage whatsoever and it has been up for almost four years. When it snows we brush the snow off every day, or as soon as it gets to about 20 cm deep. Same for the fruitcage, it did get damaged last year, but the tunnel has been ok so far, but it looks a it scary if you get inside when it has a deep layer of snow on top!

princesspiggy

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 07:35:06 pm »

Those erection costs sound high - does that include preparing the ground?
I can't help you here. Our site was flat and needed vary little prep.

our nearest supplier/constructor was  2hrs drive away and that was what they quoted on fone, i was quite shocked actually. the site is pretty level, and i wanted to plant straight into soil so dont think it included much preparation.
our neighbour built a second polytunnel and it is shredded already(dont know why tho), hope it doesnt happen to us when we eventually get one.i would be gutted!  >:(

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 09:01:33 am »
Our supplier had a standard construction cost so it didn't matter where we lived. I'm guessing your nearest is not one of the major polytunnel firms? It might be worthwhile looking at some comparisons.

One of the reasons we opted to have ours constructed for us was to make sure the covering was properly fixed. That way, if anything happened (like shredding) they couldn't turn round and say we hadn't put the cover on properly, or tight enough, or whatever. There were other reasons, of course, another being that I've been a 'Hopalong Cassidy' for a while  ;D

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »
how much did your polytunnel cost may I ask?

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 09:01:43 am »
I'm ashamed to say that I can't remember off the top of my head, and I've already had my wrists slapped because someone who read m'blog thought we had bought it for half price.
However, we got it from Haygrove and their prices are pretty much 'all in' - no need to work out how much each bit will cost - so until i can root out the invoice you might want to take a peek there for price ideas.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »
ok thanks.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 08:33:05 am »
Are we the only people who need planning permission for a tunnel? >:(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:48 am »
I think they have clamped down in recent years on polytunnels because of the huge acreages of strawberry tunnels popping up all over the countryside.  I feel sure that if we were putting up our tunnel today we would have to get prior approval at least.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 01:09:34 pm »
Katie, it depends on size, how far away from houses and roads and most definately wether it is in a garden or field. My poly is the biggest you can get for a garden and as it was away from anyone else so I did not need permission. If I put it in a field though or any bigger it would be considered a business venture and would need permission. That is in my neck of the woods anyway. Best that you checked as some folk dont like them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS