Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel Pride  (Read 17360 times)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
Polytunnel Pride
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:50 am »
We cheated and had ours built for us - many reasons why but it was worth it in the end.
It took about half a day from before to after and we've been letting our imaginations run wild for a few days before putting our sensible heads back on and looking at our plans for it.
It's just so exciting to have it there!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Polytunnel Pride
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:48:20 am »
Great stuff, I love mine. But be careful , they are addictive and you will want more!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:04:02 am »
We hope to get one next year - so we'll be looking for tips!!

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:38:12 pm »
been swithering for months about getting one of those, the build service is an added bonus, any more details, did u have to prepair the ground? etc.

mandy

ps what size is it?

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:40:24 am »
It looks really good.
I'm also wanting a polytunnel, but where do you buy them, which type is best, how do you prepare the ground? etc etc etc ;D ??? ;D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:42:44 am »
Blue Daisy, I use First Tunnels as you can design your own on line to what you actually require and they do storm braces and irrigation etc. On their site you can watch how to construct videos and loads of advise and help. They also do different covers, doors etc I do highly recomend them. Mine has stood on Shetland now with gale force winds and no problems apart from the ones I have caused ::)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:08:15 pm »
Ooh thanks hermit
off to have a look now ;)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:25:34 pm »
Ours is a 4x6m from Haygrove - we liked that there was no messing about working out the price, no working out what bits you need and how much each bit costs.
There was no prep necessary - our land is flat so that's a bonus - but no need for trenches and all that - the whole thing is anchored in and the plastic kind of ziplocks on. Price also includes the nifty bits at the side that you wind up to let air circulate and control temperatures - there's mesh to keep the bugs out.
You pay for the build but, as I say, it was well worth it to us.
Would write more but gotta dash.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:44:51 am »
Tunnel envy  :-\
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:07:14 pm »
I can recommend First Tunnels we have got one of their commercial tunnels, built it up ourselves (with a little help from a hired digger and OH always wanted to be a Bob the Builder...) but ours has been up for 3.5 years now and no damage at all yet. (Fingers crossed!)

However, even though the Polythene is dug into the ground and also some small hole wire mesh dug in too at the sides we have a vole problem, they just dig deeper... So I have to pre-germinate everything (which I do anyway), but am now in the process of mesh lining all my raised beds in it... just something to look out for! I planted autumn onions to try... but most of them are eaten now.

Also I am not sure a mesh for ventilation is such a good idea - you want bees/bumble bees butterflies etc etc in your tunnel to pollinate all your toms, beans, aubergines etc etc.... not possible if they can't get in!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 09:50:35 pm »
we have plans for a PT next year and currently have a couple of pigs in fertilising and levelling the ground - hopefully anyway!

can anyone guide me on what kind of prices I'll be looking at - both for build it yourself and also to get a company to build?

many thanks

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:36 am »
There are plenty of sites to look at but mine is 35x14 feet , eight foot high with high sides, a centre partition , irrigation , staging, crop bars, snap down polythene etc It cost two thousand four years ago but the land cost that much to prepare as well cause we built a bund around it and layed a concrete base for the frame. If I knew what size to put the photos I would put one on here of the inside. I will try.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:06 am »
<snip>
Also I am not sure a mesh for ventilation is such a good idea - you want bees/bumble bees butterflies etc etc in your tunnel to pollinate all your toms, beans, aubergines etc etc.... not possible if they can't get in!

The side vents are for additional ventilation and to enhance temperature control. The mesh just helps to keep out an invasion of undesirables. There are doors at both ends...I'm assuming all your bees and butterflies use the doors in yours?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:10 pm »
I struck lucky - got mine secondhand for £100 from a garden centre that wasn't using it anymore (about 35ft x 15ft), and the cover (interwoven opaque so nice and strong) was at an auction being stomped on cos no-one knew what the untidy big bundle of plastic was - I got that for £10.

;D

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 01:19:59 pm »
Well done!  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS