Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here we go again.  (Read 4320 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Here we go again.
« on: April 29, 2020, 08:40:06 pm »
Over the years we have had stray cats turning up. Some have been trapped by the CP others must have move on.We have 3 cats. Molly cat was feral and came from CP when she was about 10 months old. I spent a lot of time getting her to trust me and there are times she will let me stroke her. Barnaby again a CP cat we took on when he was 3 years old, now an old boy  about 16 he gets a bit confused if he has been fed or not but still likes to be around me when I am working outside. Smudge cat belonged to a neighbour who went into care and he moved in with us. All 3 get along most days. This week I got up during the night as the dogs were going mental. Barnaby was on the window ledge. which in itself was odd as he has his bed in the barn. It was very clear he had been in a fight so went out and took him in to check him over. apart from a sore paw and some missing hair he was Ok but I was upset to see him in such a state. We have CCTV. The problem, a big tabby tom cat. Molly cat and Smudge went into hiding for 3 days and I was very worried. Not seen the tom cat again so maybe he has moved on if not we will need to catch him, get a photo incase someone is looking for him . apart from this if he comes back I am stuck on what to do with lock down. We don't let the dogs chase the cats but they know there has been a strange cat spraying all over the place. My lot have all been done.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Here we go again.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:31:44 am »
If you want to just chase him away, have a plant sprayer water-filled ready.  If he appears spray it at him, or better still a hosepipe.  It's rare for males to be unneutered these days.

But if you'd rather find out where he belongs and return him, contact cats protection - they may be able to leave a cat trap at your gate for you.  Then they will take it away if you catch him. Or they may know of him or have other suggestions

He may have strayed follwoing a female's scent, but again it's unusual for females not to be neutered too.

Good luck either way, not nice to have your own animal family disrupted
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 01:34:16 pm »
He has been spraying all over the place, the stink is terrible. Even on the ponies hay bales. My neighbours cats have all been done so there are no females to come into heat. I hope he just moves on. Our local CP are on lock down. I will get a hose ready to blast him with water if he appears. My 3 cats were all here this morning for breakfast so that is a good sign.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 02:11:38 pm »
Well it definitely sounds like you have or had an un-neutered male and, therefore, most likely a feral rather than a stray.  From my experience truly feral toms are barrel-bodied muscle-bound monsters - the antithesis of feline grace.  Here's hoping Barnaby put up enough of a showing to make the intruder think it not worth hanging around a group of neutered cats. 

Fingers crossed also that yours do not now take up spraying everywhere outdoors and in.  A problem I once faced and could not correct:  ultimately my neutered pair had to become pretty-much outdoor pets confined to garden and conservatory (latter being fairly easy to sanitise as necessary) unless under my watchful eye during some quality time.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:01:34 am »
It is a problem when they spray. I lose so much hay. Even when soaked the ponies will not touch it. Over the years cats have been dumped, some very poor and old. In my local Gumtree kittens are for sale at £120 so people are breeding much the same as puppy farms these days. I have stopped leaving food in the cats bowls at night so there is nothing for the stranger. As we and the dogs are on the go during the day there has been no sign of him.  I feel a bit mean but my own cats have to come first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS