Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed - newly hatched chicks.  (Read 1248 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Feed - newly hatched chicks.
« on: April 21, 2020, 09:23:55 pm »
Hi , just hatched some locally sourced fertile eggs. Getting chick crum is a bit of a problem at the mo so they’ve  been having what basically what my dad and grandad used. Mashed up boiled egg yolks , weetabix ground to a crumb, and a mix of shredded garden herbs and worms from the compost heap. Is this okay for the next few weeks until they’re ready for growers pellets.? I must say dad and grandad seemed to know their stuff and always seemed to do well with hens.
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Feed - newly hatched chicks.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 09:39:43 pm »
In the past I have occasionally  run out of chick crumbs (bad planning  ::) ). In order to feed the chicks I have ground down growers or layers pellets in the food processor or liquidiser. The chicks ate it quite happily and it didn't seem to do them any harm.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Re: Feed - newly hatched chicks.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 07:47:49 am »
In the past I have occasionally  run out of chick crumbs (bad planning  ::) ). In order to feed the chicks I have ground down growers or layers pellets in the food processor or liquidiser. The chicks ate it quite happily and it didn't seem to do them any harm.

Hi thanks,  I’ve done that before???? The question was more about would the old fashioned method do them any harm and could I use it until they’re ready to take them on to growers pellets.
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS