Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pedigree sheep  (Read 27332 times)

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: pedigree sheep
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 08:49:42 pm »
Hey
:o
As a totally non sheep person, those sheep with horns sound dangerous.  Are they? 

Sheep with horns are not dangerous unless they have not been treated properly and then they can be dangerous!

rustyme

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »
Hello ,
        I would have to disagree slightly on this one . I have worked on many farms with sheep over the last 30 years and ,although I am by no means an expert,  I have come across more than one or two sheep ,both with and without horns , that hadn't been mistreated in any way but , were downright dangerous. It was mainly rams , all they are doing is protecting their girls in their eyes. But on more than one occasion they have knocked me off my feet. Like goats it just depends on their temperament, mainly good but now and then a nasty one . There is a ram on the next farm to me here , he will chase you all over the field to have a go , and he can really motor. He has no horns to grab hold of either, so you either hope you can out run him ,or don't go in there with him ....I choose the latter !!! Ewes with young can be very dangerous too, if you aren't used to them . Once again that is with or without horns.  The main thing is to take care with any sheep till you are used to them and they are used to you ....

cheers

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:31 pm »
Hi, Russ

I'm with you on that one. I suspect that few sheep are dangerous through "malice" - they are dangerous because they behave like sheep and will protect either their females, in the case of rams, or their lambs, in the case of ewes. So it's up to us as the "smart" ones to think ahead, think like a sheep and avoid putting ourselves in potentially dangerous situations.

The same probably applies to most animals.

rustyme

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 12:12:24 am »
Hello Rosemary,
                    yes thats about it . Trouble starts when we try to turn animals into people ...lol.
I have come across one or two sheep that were just nasty , but maybe they had a reason I knew nothing about?  I think we all know of a bull somewhere that you daren't go in the field with .  They say that one in onehundred bulls are dangerous , well I don't know I have never counted .....but maybe it is the same with sheep ?.... As you say though Rosemary , take care and avoid danger .

cheers

Russ

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »
If you want to know more about Ryelands just look at the Southdown Sheep Society website, which is comprehensive and the Secretary, Gail Sprake, is excellent.  The majority of the flocks are on or near the South Downs (mostly Sussex) so if you want a similar type of sheep or can't find a Ryeland ram Southdowns are a good alternative.  The Southdown was used extensively in the breeding of all the Down breeds, including the Ryeland - many folk can't tell the difference!  The SSS has a number of members that regularly export to the Continent and are all geared up for it.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 03:20:42 pm »
The Ryeland secretary is pretty good too  :innocent:
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Jcrang

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:06:38 pm »
I know this is a super old post but as its showing again in the sheep section i just thought I'd add my thoughts as I'm sure the society has changed in the last 5 years!!!

I would say that I'm more than 100% pleased with all the excellent help, support and advice that I have received since getting my Ryelands in August. The Ryeland flock book society in my option has been great and Dot is awesome as secretary!!! Everyone I've met so far has been great and super helpful. The society seems really keen to support new flock owners and explains things in plain English for those just getting into pedigree sheep.

Fingers crossed for a successful lambing in March for our Mules and my woolly bears with no SBV lambs, we are in Somerset and it seems that the area has been pretty badly hit :-(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS