Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pedigree sheep  (Read 27334 times)

Alan

• Joined Oct 2007
pedigree sheep
« on: October 21, 2007, 06:25:03 pm »
Nice to see that you have managed to get some Ryelands, I think last time I looked you weren't sure that you had space. Our jacobs arrived friday having been held at St boswells because of foot and mouth.  They are four horn so the Ram is a quite impressive; shearing should be interesting though!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: pedigree sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:00:35 pm »
The Ryelands are awfully cute - I've had lots of reaction from friends and neighbours in that vein. But I do hope to make a "professional" job with them. I certainly hope to keep good records of the sheep - lambing %, lamb weight etc. To start with I'll be breeding from all the ewes, but hopefully as the flock grows I'll be able to be more selective.

I'm actually a bit cross with the Ryeland Flock Book Society, which runs things for the breed. I've twice contacted them via the website for information on how to register a flock (albeit small) and I haven't had any response. There's nothing on the website. I know it's a bit pathetic, but I've picked my flock name and I'm paranoid that someone will steal it before I get a chance to register it - not much chance, in reality. It doesn't say much about the Society's stated aim to encourage folk into the Ryeland breed.

Is the Jacob breed better?

He, he - I bet shearing Ryelands is easier than a four horn Jacob.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:20:05 pm »
 :o
As a totally non sheep person, those sheep with horns sound dangerous.  Are they? 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:56:58 pm »
Our Ryelands don't have horns, but I've worked with Blackface sheep, which do (but only two!). Yes, they can give you a nasty knock, but having said that a shhep's head without horns is pretty solid if it butts you. The horns do make good handles, though - useful to grab at as the animal rushes past!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:28:47 am »
Have made enquiries here in France about these adourable sheep and it seems so far there aren't any. A guy from Yorkshire has the sheep, and has a house in Britanny but does not live here yet.

We have emailed eachother a couple of times, and he may move out here next spring.

Can you tell me about the Ryeland? How does the meat taste/rate? What is the weight attained by the time of slaughter? What about temperament?

I have a real fancy for something different and these look just adourable! I know the foot and mouth restrictions affect things at the moment, but by next spring things may have changed.

Any info greatfully received!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 07:48:46 pm »
Ryelands are a dual purpose breed producing high quaity wool and excellent meat - so says the Ryeland Flock Book Society! I can't comment personally being a new owner and not having either sheared them or killed them yet. The breed was very much a wool breed and was developed by the monastries centuries ago to serve the wool trade. It's a down breed so should have a decent carcase and can be used as a terminal crossing sire.

They are quite small sheep, so easy to handle and seem very docile and friendly. Because they have little short legs and stocky bodies, they're supposed to be good in orchards and stuff because they aren't built to get up on their hind legs to eat leaves etc. They also have a reputation for only wandering as far as the next clump of grass, if they escape - unlike the Shetland sheep owned by a friend of mine who are wild wild wild and escape over, under and through fences and demolish small buildings!

I think they are a rare breed so there will be stuff on the RBST and have a look at the RFBS website.

If you wait long enough , you can buy some Rosedean lambs!!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 08:13:28 pm »
We are having a problem trying to get information from the Ryeland sheep association
website re breeders in UK.

We are deffinately interested in importing a small group to our smallholding here in Normandy but cannot commence our search without knowing who to contact. I have emailed twice now having received no reply to my first enquiry.

Any help would be appreciated. We know we have to wait for the import ban to lifted, but are gearing ourselves up to get some in for next spring if possible.

Thanks

Kate

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:29:42 pm »
Oh, you and me both. I've made several enquiries via the Ryeland Flock Book Society website and eithre had no response or had to wait ages. It's not a great way of promoting the breed, huh?

I've got the Flock Book which lists names, addresses and phone numbers of Society members. Do you want me to pick out two or three in the South of England and give you their contact information?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:54:18 pm »
Yes please Rosemary! Ideally we would want to use Portsmouth harbour so any contacts in the south would be fantastic.

As you can see from our website we are keen on the rare breeds and since reading your entry on the Ryeland breed I have be reading with interest on google and would love to add them to our family here.

By the way I finally recieved an acknowledgement of my email from the society but still no information!

Thanks so much and looking forward to the info.

Kate

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:55:06 am »
Just say thanks Rosemary for the info - we have now made contact with a lady in the Portsmouth area by sheer luck, who may have 2 two year old ewes 'in lamb' for us in the Spring and has kindly offered to try to source an unrelated ram for us. If unsuccessful with the ram, there are three other contacts in an accessable area of Portsmouth for us to try, so as you can imagine I am really excited and looking forward to introducing the Ryeland breed, albeit on a small scale, into our smallholding.

I will keep you posted!

Kate

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
Once they arrive Kate you are going to have to take up spinning cant allow beautiful wool to go to waste.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 04:41:09 pm »
Congratulations, Kate. You won't regret it!

Are they coloured Ryelands? I'm looking forward to a jumper from our wool - although I may have to find a spinner / knitter, if I don't get my act togeter!

Photos of the new arivals, Kate, please, in due course!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:56 pm »
From her website I think she has white and black, but what colours she will have available I am not sure yet. I really don't mind what they are though - just looking forward to introducing something a little unique for others to enjoy as well as us.

Kate

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 08:17:43 pm »
Here is the link to the website of the lady who has the Ryelands.

http://www.asly29.dsl.pipex.com/alaec_index.html

I thought it could be of interest on here not only because it is a nice site, but they show what can be made from the fleeces.  They actually send theirs away to Wales so do not have to bother processing the fleeces themselves.

I am going to see if I can source someone in France who could process in a similar way with not only the Ryeland fleeces but also the Ouessants as well.

Kate

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 07:27:38 am »
Kate re the Ryland and Ouessant wool, there is a lady called the Spinner who works out of 56, not far from Pontivy.  She takes the raw fleece to the final product if required.  She spins and weaves as well as knits.  She takes knitting to an art form.  I probably have her phone number somewhere if you or any one else over here is interested.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS