Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pets/ livestock wanted  (Read 2339 times)

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
Pets/ livestock wanted
« on: April 13, 2020, 12:39:54 am »
Hi all,

Established my smallholding, I am trying to expand my livestock.
I would glad if someone had on sale and available in central Scotland (wishaw/ hamilton/ etc) or further away and can deliver livestock of all kind.
Preference would be on sheeps/cows/goats that can overwinter outside and partially in stable in my smallholding. The plot is sheltered and never too cold.
Preference is also on no neutred. Young. No too crossed and possible bucket trained. (Sounds asking a lot but I hope with the new born season something may come along)

I am not too fussed about the particular breed at the minute but would like soon to expand and breed livestock as well. Therefore good stuff is always welcome.

If you have anything reasonably priced and can deliver let me know.

Keep posting me.

Thanks

Gardeners Cottage   

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Pets/ livestock wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 06:00:25 am »
Please make sure you do a lot of research before you get any animals  ;)
All animals have their own specific characteristics- goat might look similar to sheep but their feeding and behaviour is very different. Make sure you know exactly what you want to get before you get any random animals.
How big is your land?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 07:05:51 am »
Yes, I'm sure we can help, but first, why are you looking for livestock? As in, what are you hoping to achieve?

Even just with sheep, different breeds are kept for different reasons and thrive in different circumstances.

Does that make sense?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 08:50:59 am »
Start with a few sheep, leave cattle until a few years down the line as they are a different kettle of fish.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:13:50 am »
Hi all,

Established my smallholding, I am trying to expand my livestock.
I would glad if someone had on sale and available in central Scotland (wishaw/ hamilton/ etc) or further away and can deliver livestock of all kind.
Preference would be on sheeps/cows/goats that can overwinter outside and partially in stable in my smallholding. The plot is sheltered and never too cold.
Preference is also on no neutred. Young. No too crossed and possible bucket trained. (Sounds asking a lot but I hope with the new born season something may come along)

I am not too fussed about the particular breed at the minute but would like soon to expand and breed livestock as well. Therefore good stuff is always welcome.

If you have anything reasonably priced and can deliver let me know.

Keep posting me.

Thanks

Gardeners Cottage   
What livestock do you have at the moment.  If you wish to expand is it to increase your present numbers or to add different species?  If to add more species have you researched any particular animals you woud like to have and for what purposes - store or breeding? Are they just pets or are they for eventual meat production.  All animals are sentient beings and need knowledgeable owners
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 11:17:31 am »
Hi all,
Thanks for the kind replies and explanation.
Currently dealing with about 20 acres of mix pasture and woodland. The property previously had livestock on it and all the boundaries are nicely fenced. The property is divided in different areas, therefore I can keep different stock at the same time and I can segregate them accordingly to the need.
I have overwintered 2 Blue leister rams for my neighbours and currently I have 3 weathers (1 blacky, 1 cross texel and 1 cross lein) that are mowing the field by there are just there waiting to be picked up (they are professional farmers and I believe they will send them to the butcher). Also had on field several blacky gimmers.

I would like to first established a own mini flock. Ideally 3 sheep and 1 ram or there about that can grow and breed. I am not looking for any lucrative business idea but potentially add a spot of colour to the field and maintain their condition. If the size of the flock become significative I may switch to breeding process ( I do not eat lamb at all!)

I also have a small shelter previously used by goats and currently occupied by my hens (egg producer only).
The idea is perhaps to expand and start a bit of Italian style 'cheese making' processing.

I would also like at some stage some highland cattle or belted galloway. Previous owner had 2 belted galloway.
Main reason, again, is land maintenance more than meat production

Happy to welcome any of you for a coffee, to  network and to share ideas on how best to use this land. Hopefully the virus will be out soon.

Cheers,

Antonio

Gardners Cottage

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 01:32:16 pm »
Interesting!  Have you considered sheep cheese as a possibility also?

You could buy mis-marked Zwartbles ewes cheaply, and they are lovely friendly, milky sheep.

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 04:00:37 pm »
Sounds good,

I believe for mis-marked you mean with mark signature different from the pure breed style i.e. white stripe on the head.
Not great deal of experience wih this breed but worth exploring.
To be milk, that means they should have lamb at foot. Right?
How long is the milking period for this sheeps? What amount of milk per day do they produce?

Anyone have any available?

Cheers

Gardners Cottage

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 07:21:26 pm »
I think Humphrey Errington and his daughter Serena's cheese farm near Dunsire, Elsrickle (they make cheeses such as Lanark Blue from ewe's milk as a well as some cheese from cows) may be able to help you with proper milk sheep;  he imported his orginal stock from France.  The difference is that milk sheep can be milked by machine as they have larger teats than 'normal' sheep.  he is very helpful and willing to share the story of how he learnt his business, and to show people around the dairy.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 07:59:39 pm »
Also I wouldn't keep goats outside in the northern part of the uk - they wouldn't survive. You mention you have a shelter but is it draught and rain proof? Goats are delicate creatures and can get pneumonia very easily.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 09:49:07 am »
Hi is highland cattle off any interest to u . Also have a Shetland 3 yr old cow incalf . Thanks

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 09:53:58 am »
>I believe for mis-marked you mean with mark signature different from the pure breed style i.e. white stripe on the head.

Yes, we commonly get sheep with white in the wrong places, which we then wouldn't breed from pure. For example, we have a couple this year where the white extends onto the ears, or with white that runs into the wool on the neck. They'll be perfectly good ewes in all other regards, but will sell for "fat" (meat) money rather than as pedigree breeding stock.

> To be milk, that means they should have lamb at foot. Right?

Yes, and I guess the issue with that is that the lambs drink the milk also!!

How long is the milking period for this sheeps? What amount of milk per day do they produce?

I'm not really sure, since we just let the lambs get on with it, and then they gradually wean themselves once they start eating more grass, so I don't know how long they'd milk for if you kept taking it. Zs were originally a Dutch dairy breed, so I would expect them to milk well. I couldn't say if they'd be better or worse than other dairy breeds though.

Actually, I might know more by the end of the current lockdown period, since I have two friendly ewes that had single lambs yesterday. Since milk is the only thing we currently go shopping for, I'm going to ask them nicely if they have some to spare instead!!

> Anyone have any available?

Yes, I expect we will later in the year, and I could also put you in touch with others locally. Just drop me a line once you've done your research and know more about what you're looking for.

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 10:25:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks all to share your view.
I will follow up with individual mails and messages..
Feel free to get in touch if you have anything on offer any time..

Cheers,

Gardeners Cottage

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 01:09:49 am »
Hi all,

Just a quick update, after careful search I managed to source nice Zwartble and Cross Suffolk as suggest by [member=2128]Womble[/member] . Got on board all the good suggestion form [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] on rotovator and general and I am nicely producing veg in my walled garden (frost from the easty beasty apart!! :(. Also been in touch with [member=29842]shankendfarming[/member] which has been just amazing as everyone else with lovely suggestions and advice and the interaction will continue for sure.
I would like to tank you all for the nice advices and for being active! The smallholding experience is being pretty positive and I learned to get a step at the time and move on! it is being a pleasure. Thanks to the blog originator to make this!

I am pretty sure that although I have been a pain, /we are all learning. I just wish there was a shortlist with direct contact for enquiries, which would make things perfect! Rosemary you should think about keeping a record!
Happy farming anyone and if you have anything interesting please get in touch!

PM for my contact and I will add you to my list if we have been in touch!

Best wishes,

Antonio   

Rara

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 11:44:49 am »
Have you ever thought of having longhorn cattle? People tend to be frightened of them because of their horns but they are the gentlest and most laid-back cattle you can find. They out-winter,are easy calvers,can be milked and in the old days were also used to draw a plough or cart. I have halter trained heffers and cows for sale and would love to encourage the breed in Scotland!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS