Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Greenhouse  (Read 2718 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Which Greenhouse
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:43:33 am »
Good Morning,

Hope somebody can help with a bit of advice please?

I want to put up a lean-to greenhouse against one of my outbuildings but am a bit concerned about the durability due to the really high winds we get here sometimes. We are located in the North East of Scotland.

Can anybody recommend a really tough make of green house that may be up to the job.

I would be looking at about 8x6 I would think.

Thanks in advance

Fishy

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Which Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:13:02 pm »
In short Fishy, I don't know.  However I would suggest that any greenhouse well fixed to some sound foundations and well fixed to the lean-to wall would be just fine. 
Someone else here might have a different view, but, whatever, welcome to the forum.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:19:20 pm »
Strong of course equals expensive, so you won't be looking at the cheaper end of the market.  We are extremely windy here, in spite of not being on the coast.  I have never considered an outside greenhouse, but after we put up our extra strong polytunnel, we put a small greenhouse inside it.  Sounds weird, but anything else we could have afforded would have blown away outside, and would have been too cold to be useful.  Inside, we use the greenhouse for chillies, peppers and aubergines, and for plants early in the season, after they are weaned from the propagator.  It's also useful for drying garlic.
Sorry I can't help on really strong lean-to greenhouses, but they must be out there.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:59:05 pm »

Follow up to my earlier post:  if most of the UK's greenhouses had not survived all the strong winds we've had this winter, we would surely have heard about it !!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 06:27:29 pm »
Kedar greenhouse and Polycrub are the 2 makes that are known for being able to survive just about anything.
I don't think either do lean-to structures but you could ask or just use one in the space without fixing it to a wall.

Unless you are within a km or 2 of the coast Aberdeenshire is actually one of the least windy places in Scotland (despite what it feels like) so if your sheltered against a wall a regular greenhouse might just be fine.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 07:14:18 pm »
Kedar greenhouse and Polycrub are the 2 makes that are known for being able to survive just about anything.
I don't think either do lean-to structures but you could ask or just use one in the space without fixing it to a wall.

Unless you are within a km or 2 of the coast Aberdeenshire is actually one of the least windy places in Scotland (despite what it feels like) so if your sheltered against a wall a regular greenhouse might just be fine.

https://www.polycrub.co.uk/ I hadn't heard of polycrubs but they sound perfect for a windy site.  No mention of price though - I assume you have to apply for quotes?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 07:46:48 pm »
I have to say the Polycrub looks amazing and very strong. I can feel a bit of a re think coming on!!

Thankyou for all replies.

Fishy

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:40:48 am »
Given that the Polycrubs are made on the Shetland isles, transport to mainland Britain is going to set you back by quite a bit.... ( saw figures somewhere on facebook a while ago, you need a large lorry to transport due to the large rigid sheet of polycarbonate as a cover).
 Keders are great, as long as you make sure how to place it wrt prevailing wind and shut the ventilation windows if strong winf from other direction (and remember to opne them straight away afterwards) - I love my Keder. Not a lean-to structure, but extremely well made and price-wise better than a greenhouse (for equivalent floor space obviously) and also cheaper than a polycrub. Definitely recommend them. (and they get delivered on a single pallet!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS