Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock movements restrictions - COVID19  (Read 2187 times)

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Livestock movements restrictions - COVID19
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:17:24 pm »
Hi,
With all the changes etc to life during COVID19, is it still ok to transport animals or is this not considered an essential service? I intend to collect a trailerload of bottlelambs soon but not sure if it is ok given the current circumstances. I presume it falls into food production which at the moment is considered an essential service, as I intend to finish for meat.
If anyone knows of any helpful info or experience, or has answers, I would be very grateful. Obviously social distancing is mandatory, but i didnt want to run into trouble with the police being out in force, especially with it nearing easter etc?

Many thanks,

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Livestock movements restrictions - COVID19
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 01:19:32 pm »
Most farming is carrying on as usual with social distancing in place. I’d say your travel falls under food production so is justified.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 01:41:41 pm »

Currently fine. Suggest they are ready penned for your arrival so you can load unassisted. Wear clean overalls and gloves. Touch the least surfaces possible. You can download a letter to say you are a farmer carrying out farming activity but tbh it would be fairly obvious to the police.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 03:11:09 pm »
I collected some goats last week. No problems at all. The guy had them ready in his trailer so I just had to reload them into my transport and sign the form which he filled with my details the night before - and told me to keep the pen  ;)

It is very very unlikely that you would be stopped by the police - unless you are in a touristy area
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 04:26:04 pm »

Currently fine. Suggest they are ready penned for your arrival so you can load unassisted. Wear clean overalls and gloves. Touch the least surfaces possible. You can download a letter to say you are a farmer carrying out farming activity but tbh it would be fairly obvious to the police.

You will have your movement license with you anyway, which the police are entitled to inspect in  any case.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 07:49:56 pm »

You will have your movement license with you anyway, which the police are entitled to inspect in  any case.

You will only have your licence on the way back but farmers are key workers so unless they suspect you have a trailer full of friends it shouldn't be a problem. The key thing is social distancing and surfaces.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:37:47 pm »
Brilliant. Thanks very much all.  :thumbsup:

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 12:31:45 pm »

Were do you down load the letter from ? Thanks

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »

I wouldn't bother. With a load of lambs on board and your copy of the movement licence from the vendor, there is absolutely nothing else you would need in order to prove the obvious. :sunshine: [size=78%]  [/size]
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 04:28:11 pm »

I wouldn't bother. With a load of lambs on board and your copy of the movement licence from the vendor, there is absolutely nothing else you would need in order to prove the obvious. :sunshine: [size=78%]  [/size]

I agree but useful if you have to go to the lamb shed/field, especially at night.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 05:36:27 pm »
Just show them your hands.

At this time of year, that should be more than enough  ;D .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 06:33:56 pm »
Just show them your hands.

At this time of year, that should be more than enough  ;D .
With all the handwashing everyone should be doing everyone should have naff hands.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS