Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trying to get a food delivery  (Read 4414 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Trying to get a food delivery
« on: March 25, 2020, 05:41:35 pm »

So here's the quandary:  Those of us who are 'vulnerable' or in isolation have been told to get our food delivered; so we find our chosen supermarket's website to arrange it; there are no delivery slots available; we are told that because we are not registered with them as vulnerable, then we cannot have a delivery;  in fact we cannot even see the delivery slot bit unless we are 'special';  There is a dedicated line to phone, but the lines are totally blocked, and we are told there are none available 'try again later'; we try again, and again, and again, ad nauseam; so then we go back to try to get a 'click and collect' slot;  ah, there are none of those either.  So, by trying to prioritise those most in need, the supermarkets have made it impossible for us to get food either delivered or to collect ourselves, and we cannot go into shops because we are in isolation and have to stay at home.  I'm sure they meant to help, but they haven't  :rant:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Trying to get a food delivery
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 06:01:43 pm »

I believe the supermarkets are taking on delivery staff but unfortunately it isn't going to happen overnight. I'm sure you are not alone in this.

Do you have a neighbour you can ask?

In our village, about 80 houses, we have dropped every household a leaflet. We have asked for people to tell us who is isolating and who might be able to help with shopping, meds collection. We have also identified at risk people and checking them to see if they are OK. We have a village email which has been a great help.

I shopped today for an isolating couple but you are too far away for me to help!

Can you contact your local council? Ours just asked our parish council if we were doing anything to help people in our community.

Not sure any of that helps you but maybe you could ring your local parish councillor and ask what help is available locally and it might kick start them if there isn't anything.. Also try your local shop if you have one because ours are doing deliveries.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 06:56:38 pm »
Morrisons are doing a kind of pot luck box containing essentials, supposedly next day delivery

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:30:56 pm »
Poor thing - there might be a voluntary group near you on facebook  :hug:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 07:44:52 pm »

I have just heard that we can register via Gov.uk as vulnerable, rather than having to try to ring on non-existant lines, which seems to have been organised this evening, so we'll see what comes of that.  We do have friends who have offered to help which is really kind, but really only brings in crisis needs.  It is also embarassing having to ask, and they tend not to want us to pay - we have money to pay, fortunately.  I don't feel our needs justify using help designed for those really vulnerable people who have no-one at all. We still have stores of some foods, but when we did get the one order we have had delivered last week, various things were missing - in particular loo roll.  Still, we have lots of moss round here  :roflanim:

I think I was just crying out for the supermarkets to sort something out quickly (and they are doing their very best and I for one am very thankful ).  I know this is a huge problem for very many people.  Apparently a quarter of the World population is in lockdown now  :o    There is a local community group here, but as I say, there are plenty of others in far more dire need than we are.  We could be perfectly independent if only we could get a delivery slot organised  :-[

It's wonderful how you are pulling together in your communities to help others, but please don't put yourselves at risk.  On the other hand, when you do drop off supplies, try to stop for a couple of minutes' chat - people will have had no-one to speak to for days, just remember to stay a good 2 metres away, and preferably more.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:49:01 pm by Fleecewife »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:20:24 pm »

I think that the easy bit was locking us down. Now they are trying to work out how in practise it works. What I am wondering is.....I thought we had people who planned at a high level for national emergencies so when one happened they had a plan? Now, maybe it is just me but I don't feel there was a plan either before Corvid 19 or since.

Seems to me that we should of ordered ppe for the NHS staff weeks ago. Telling people not to panic buy makes them do just that. NHS staff should not have to go to the shops they should have been given priority home deliveries.

Please don't be embarrassed to ask for help. People have volunteered because they want to and it is about protecting us all. We are being careful, not going into houses, gloves etc. All our shops have put in measures to minimise risk too.

Oh, make sure you shake the moss first  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: 

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:39:55 pm »

I have just heard that we can register via Gov.uk as vulnerable, rather than having to try to ring on non-existant lines, which seems to have been organised this evening, so we'll see what comes of that.  We do have friends who have offered to help which is really kind, but really only brings in crisis needs.  It is also embarassing having to ask, and they tend not to want us to pay - we have money to pay, fortunately.  I don't feel our needs justify using help designed for those really vulnerable people who have no-one at all. We still have stores of some foods, but when we did get the one order we have had delivered last week, various things were missing - in particular loo roll.  Still, we have lots of moss round here  :roflanim:

I think I was just crying out for the supermarkets to sort something out quickly (and they are doing their very best and I for one am very thankful ).  I know this is a huge problem for very many people.  Apparently a quarter of the World population is in lockdown now  :o    There is a local community group here, but as I say, there are plenty of others in far more dire need than we are.  We could be perfectly independent if only we could get a delivery slot organised  :-[

It's wonderful how you are pulling together in your communities to help others, but please don't put yourselves at risk.  On the other hand, when you do drop off supplies, try to stop for a couple of minutes' chat - people will have had no-one to speak to for days, just remember to stay a good 2 metres away, and preferably more.

any link for the vulnerable registration ? Round here earliest delivery slot now first week in May !! All our neighbours are in isolation ( and are fed up with my goats milk and eggs ! )
I dont think the isolation plan will last too long here , food and medicines needed, we may have to draw lots on who is to be " sacrificed "   ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 10:08:33 pm »
Well the Gov.uk was as big a flop from my point of view as you would expect.  Mr F is used to navigating the site but it took quite a while to find the right place.  Then it emerges that those who are sick enough to qualify, those who have had transplants and are on immunosuppressants, for example, will be notified to Gov by their GPs, and then will qualify for emergency deliveries by the Army!  I'm not that ill, just very likely to get the pneumonic version of this plague because of a heart and lung condition. Those who are ill enough to qualify would not have the strength to get to the right place on Gov.uk - just as well the GPs can do that for them.

My worry is that people who are at risk but not in the extreme category will be driven to break their isolation to go and get themselves some food. The supermarkets are working on it I know and hopefully those who have some reserves but not enough, will be OK until new measure for home deliveries come into force. With so many workers losing their jobs, there should be people available to drive and pack groceries for the duration.

Oh I shall examine the moss very carefully for spikes, ants and so on - I value my ability to sit down  ;D

...and the good news is that our hens have started laying again - 2 eggs today, plus a goose egg  :chook:  We'll be fine  :thumbsup:   I hope everyone else is too.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:16:09 pm by Fleecewife »

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 06:00:52 am »
if you do venture out to shop for food, local corner stores/garage-cum-grocers are good in my experience, both from perspective of having stuff on the shelves and being relatively empty and/or easy to keep social distance, or a Tesco extra, which opens at 6am and is of course almost empty of customers at that hour - lots of their own staff filling home delivery boxes though! But still easy to keep 2m between you and everyone else.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:51:42 am »
Fleece wife, please do reach out to your local community. I know that you think that there are people more in need in your community but if you fall in the vulnerable groups you should ask for help if you need it .....it could be that you will need help in the weeks to come in some way or other even if you don't need it too much at the moment. It would be good to make contacts and links now.

Shopping slots are difficult for now but hopefully will improve.

Our tiny community has put things in place in an informal way because we have a lot of older residents that are in the vulnerable groups. We all know each other but we are making sure that we are ringing those that are alone daily and whoever is venturing out for essentials is contacting others to see what they need. This includes contacting people not in the vulnerable groups to reduce trips out for all. And the vulnerable folk are also ringing to check on those not in the vulnerable groups so that's good too. And certainly my neighbour has had good ideas about reducing the risk of infection which we also have taken on board so everyone bcan potentially help others.

Have you contacted any local small village shops? 2 village shops, a few miles from us, are willing to deliver to the vulnerable.
Morrison's are doing basic food boxes.
We have a mobile butcher who is now doing his best to bring veg, milk and bread. Have you got anyone like this that delivers locally?

Do you use FB? I know that lots of people don't like it but one of my neighbours joined this week so that she could view the local community pages. I'm not sure of your area as I'm sure the response varies but there are lots of services being offered by local shops and individuals who feel able to help eg. A lady that works in the doctors surgery about 6 miles away will bring prescriptions to our nearest village.

I know that you would probably sooner sort things yourself FW but please consider reaching out to the community, you might be able to help others with ideas, suggestions, etc so it's not all one way.

Stay safe x

nicodearg

• Joined Mar 2020
  • Bathgate, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:25 am »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] if this still isn't sorted for you, I'm about 30 minutes away from South Lanarkshire (in Bathgate). I'm happy to make the drive down to deliver groceries.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:12 am »
I'm very independently minded, I don't like asking for help either and I'm not in the vulnerable category - but if I or my husband became ill, living 45 miles from Tesco you can guess how far down the queue our delivery would be!
On the upside I got 6 eggs from 5 hens yesterday! I'm getting sick of eggs though. As for loo roll, or lack of it and if you didn't fancy the moss - you could always cut up some old flannel sheets and have a poo cloth bucket  :roflanim: it would mean having to wash them, but mankind has survived for thousands of years without Andrex after all.

I will have to pop out tomorrow to the local co-op 20 miles away and find what ever vegetables they have, which will be very few. We only have a few carrots left in the ground and rocket and a small amount of kale in the PT. Lots of meat in the freezers which I feel very fortunate to have.

Hope you get your delivery sorted soon.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 10:01:51 am »
Echo "in the hills"  :eyelashes: We have made contact with new people in our village we didn't know. And it is good to support local.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 11:07:24 am »
As for loo roll, or lack of it and if you didn't fancy the moss - you could always cut up some old flannel sheets and have a poo cloth bucket  :roflanim: it would mean having to wash them, but mankind has survived for thousands of years without Andrex after all.

They should put that hard stuff out that came in little boxes. Put the hoarders off  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 11:23:57 am »
My meds run out at the weekend, chemist has halted their home delivery service . so as I'm going to go out I may as well do shopping as well ,get fuel etc , pointless isolating if there is no support infrastructure.
I did my bit, there are vast stores of emergency food and basics but no one "up stairs" thought on how to distribute the stuff , rather they have thought about it but have haven't looked at the logistics, my rant , a lot of folk will suffer due to the failure of planners to plan   :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS