Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Root cellar  (Read 4178 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Root cellar
« on: March 22, 2020, 06:57:22 pm »
Hi,

I’ve just seen in one of my magazines about root cellars. I haven’t seen or heard of these before but it looks like it could be an interesting project to to help keep root crops fresher for longer, and with all this extra time at home at the minute it might be worth looking at.

I do already have a cellar in the house which isn’t really used yet, not sure if this works in the same way.

Has anyone built one of these before?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Root cellar
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 11:08:02 pm »
What were the magazine's instructions for how to build a root cellar?

Our house is on solid rock, so no cellar, but one would be very useful for storing root veg and apples.  Currently we store ours in the scullery which is far from perfect.

My inlaws house had a huge cellar, which was full of a rather good train layout!  My parents stored the apples in what had been the 'dunny' or 'outhouse' before we lived there.  There was still an old Elsan sitting inside  :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 11:59:45 am »
Yes, plastic buckets, lined and covered with dense wire mesh (rats/mice) and filled with sand, vegetables layered without touching each other. Works but things like carrots, parsnips etc will start growing again and they will still loose moisture.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:32:51 pm »
We're on solid clay with a high water table, not ideal for a root cellar. Instead, I built a stud walled room in the barn clad with some 4" celotex left over from a building project. the concrete floor helps keep it cool and, while it's not as cool or stable as a proper root cellar, it makes for a decent pantry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS