Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To live on the land tempary build  (Read 2098 times)

Leefle

• Joined Mar 2020
  • Devon
To live on the land tempary build
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:48:04 pm »
 Hi I have nine acres of land, all grass I would like advice regarding living on the land to build a small holding.

If you have any tips would be most appreciated live in Devon

Regards

LEE

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: To live on the land tempary build
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:28:53 am »
Lots of good info on the Chapter7 website.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:34:59 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:32:12 am »
Hi Lee, congratualtions on buying your own plot of land. I'm sorry to put a downer on your excitment, but I'm sure you can imagine that creating a smallholding is really not as easy as buying land and then building on it. If you have brought agricultural land, then you will of paid the appropriate price for agricultural land. If you had brought land with planning permission for a caravan, house, barns the price would probably of been several (hundred) thousand more.

There are very firm rules about what can be placed on agricultural land, your really best off speaking to either a planning adviser, or possibly the council direct. They will be able to advise you if there would be any possibility of putting a caravan, barn, or even a property on the site.

Leefle

• Joined Mar 2020
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:54:48 am »
Completely understand I have emailed my local planning to arrange the next steps, thanks for the advice.

Hope you all keep well in this outbreak.

Can't get nothing in the shops, wish I started the small holding last year?

Regards

Lee

ShinyCharizard90

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 01:22:34 pm »
Congrats on getting your own land! :)
My recommendation would be to look into permitted development rights for agricultural land and see if you are over the threshold in size.
https://www.gov.uk/planning-permissions-for-farms/permitted-development

With large sizes, you can create fences, walls, entrances all under PD, but also more importantly, agricultural buildings without needed permission.
But I would also inform the local authority about what you are doing anyway - there's a specific form for that, but it's more of an keep them informed rather than request permission.

I would plan out your farm and what animals you will keep if any and talk to a planning consultant just to bounce it off them.

I'd then build your barns where you'd imagine a house could go in 10 years time.
This is a very simplified overview, but one strategy is to do a conversion after 10 years of it being a barn.  You may never use it, but it's a nice to have and will help with increasing the value of your land.
10 years of having a large enough barn anyway lends itself as an incredibly useful space for farming or a workshop.

You could also buy some glamping tents and look into putting them on AirBnB if it's less than 28 days a year.

Good luck!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 03:55:44 pm »
Nine acres is too small to be classed as a farm which must be 5ha minimum (12.5 acres)  Permitted development needs to be for a farm.

If you put up a basic steel portal barn it cannot be converted as a dwelling at a later date, it has to be a brick built barn for that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS