Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to wean lambs  (Read 1085 times)

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
How to wean lambs
« on: March 08, 2020, 05:14:35 pm »
It says on the lamlac website that I should be on two feeds of 750mls equaling 1.5 litter,

750 at one time seems alot

Any help appreciated

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: How to wean lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 05:36:30 pm »
Normally on 3 feeds of 500ml, then cut down to 2 x 500ml and then 1x500ml then cut feeds off. Agree 750ml far too much for a lamb at once time. Make sure they are eating creep and drinking water before weaning but they will start doing this when you cut the milk down.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »
I always feed 4 feeds a day of 350ml. I'm sure that instruction came from a bag of lamblac

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 07:49:29 pm »
I definitely wouldn't ever put more than 500ml into a lamb at one feed, far too likely to overflow the abomasum and cause all sorts of problems.

I'd have them on three feeds of 500ml then reduce and then stop the middle feed. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS