Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cctv ?  (Read 1434 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Cctv ?
« on: March 07, 2020, 02:25:22 pm »
Hi, thought we had a section for technology but can't find it, so a couple of questions please.

We have a cctv unit, had it quite a few years, I presume it's basicly a CPU, had a power cut, switched everything off as normal, but when I switched this back on, absolutely nothing, checked line, power going to the unit. Q, anybody know if there is an internal fuse? Everything else came back on OK, so hoping it wasn't fried.

Second, can anyone recommend a new cctv system? What should I look for?
Currently have 4 cameras, but thinking an 8 channel would suit us better.
Nearly bought an ESP, but realised cameras were only 1.3mp, another had 4mp cameras, so tempted to spend more for that, but unsure of all the terminology.
Would welcome any opinions  :)
TIA

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Cctv ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 10:49:42 pm »
Not my area of expertise but I'd guess your internal power supply died. If you'e lucky and it's a standard computer power supply then they aren't that expensive but detremining whch sort it is may be another matter.
I'm out of touch with whats available nowadays.. way back when I did install a system at my clinic with 8 cams and a system at home with 4. A total waste of time since tow-rags either wear hoodies or the Police can't be bothered anyway. Three incidents recorded and no police interest beyond the usual 'here's your crime number'.
I did better when i just installed huge fake camera housings - no trouble after that even though moern tiny cams have just as good a resolution.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 11:35:08 pm »
True, when we had the gator stolen, while the camera didn't get them going across the field with it (we think they used a winch so we didn't hear it start up) we had the exact time they left by the lights of their vehicle pulling away.
Too much bother for police to look through local cctv footage, it would have only been a 10 minute section at the most. I sometimes wonder if there are reasons for police not wanting to catch them.....

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:03 am »
Deterrance is more use than pictures. Your probbaly better off sticking up a set of proper looking dummy cam housings and a few signs and an alarm bell box or two.
I begged a favour from local scrappy to cut out a couple of 6" I-beam stanchions from the barn for repurposing changes. While there I had a padlock on the back door that V had thrown away the key (she didn't recognise it!!)....less than one second with a stihl petrol disc cutter and it was off. It'd take no more then a few more seconds with a battery portable 125mm job. Anyone determined to nick stuff will - and just possibly if caught get a severe suspended sentence unless they're travellers and then the police don't want the aggro

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS