Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Portlands  (Read 5478 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Portlands
« on: March 06, 2020, 06:07:12 pm »

Hi all - does anyone on TAS keep Portlands?  I am interested in what they are like to keep and also what their wool is like.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Portlands
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:57:45 pm »
[member=11700]Tiva Diva[/member] has them, not that far from you.  Not sure she gets on TAS much these days, I "see" her on Facebook.  If she doesn't comment within a day or two, I can give her a nudge if you like - but I expect you know her yourself?

And [member=27513]AndreaSnowdon[/member] (near Hexham and a spinner) got Portlands to add to her Hebs, so if she sees this, she will be full of useful info for you :)  (I'm not sure she still has sheep, but she will have experience to share.)

Portland is a useful fibre - medium length, decent sproing, soft enough, dyes well, doesn't felt at the drop of a soap droplet.  Lots of spinners like it a lot; short enough to hand card and spin from rolags, or can drum card of course.  I don't think I've tried - or would try - combing it, it's a fibre for woollen spinning.  Good for aran jumpers, things like that. 

Nice-looking sheep too, and good for conservation grazing.  From my experience years ago on a rare breeds farm, I think they often have just one lamb and are good mums, so are good to be left to get on with the job.  Pretty fox red lambs  :love:.  Both sexes horned, of course, but you're used to that :) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 12:51:32 pm »
Hi Sally, I might know TivaDiva but as I don't know who lives behind the TAS name I'm not sure.

I fell in love with Portlands years ago when I met some which lived in Derbyshire with a Heb flock. I have heard good things about their fleece, but being realistic, and given the size of my fleece stash, I probably shouldn't get any animals - maybe just some fibre to play with. Thanks for your take on the fibre  :spin: :hugsheep:

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 01:10:27 pm »
I used to help my ex neighbour with his. They are a very very easy breed, quiet and easy to handle. They will come on heat all year round so that is something to be considered and they usually (99.9% of the time) only produced a single lamb (born a beautiful fox red which then fades).  His were very true to type though, ?I have seen some huge portalands which twin regularly but itt depends what you are looking for! The true Portland are not too big and so are easy to handle, especially as they are not flighty like some of the northern short tail breeds.

I am not big on spinning but they had a lovely fleece, nothing compared to a gotland or shetalnd of course but maybe their wool has other qualities that might make them of interest! They didn't have kemp so that is one bonus!

They are a magnificent looking breed, especially the males with their "fly away" horns and the females which should have horns which "frame" the face.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:42:20 pm »
Thanks for the info [member=28989]roddycm[/member]  and Sally.  I found a seller on Etsy from Dorset who sells tops so I've sent off for some of that then I can judge the fleece for myself.  I have to decide if I could possibly justify a couple of wethers to add to my mini fleece flock - it contains two white shetlands at the moment and I suppose I could say my 3 little Soay ewes are for fleece only too as we won't be breeding those, just the Ancient Type Hebrideans which are getting rotund ready for April.
I don't want to dive into adding sheep to our flock right now with this horrible virus threatening, so I'll play with the fleece first.  I so love the Portlands with their pretty reddish faces and hearing they are easy going and easy to manage is a big help  :thumbsup: :hugsheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS