Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeds that get along with Soay's  (Read 884 times)

MichW

• Joined Mar 2020
Breeds that get along with Soay's
« on: March 04, 2020, 05:58:57 pm »
Hi everyone, I've been keeping a small flock of Soay sheep for about 2 years now but lately I've been thinking about adding more sheep to the flock. I was wondering whether it's possible to have another breed that would get along with Soay's and if it is what do people suggest?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Breeds that get along with Soay's
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 05:07:18 pm »
I've only just spotted your post, so apologies for not replying sooner.

Logically one might think Boreray, North Ronaldsay, something like that - also small primitive types. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Breeds that get along with Soay's
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 06:09:38 pm »
Depends what you mean by 'get along with'!  Soays are sooo cheeky.  We currently keep ours in with our Hebrideans.  When we got this Soay trio last year, as tiny lambs, we introduced them to the Hebs quite carefully.  For the first 100yds, it was the Hebs chasing the Soays, then the wee ones turned round and chased the Hebs for ten times as far, but all as a game.  Now they are totally integrated.
having said that, we have in the past kept Soays with a number of different breeds as well as Hebs: Jacobs, Gotland, Shetlands, some downland types (which stoically ignored them!), even Manx, and they coexisted in relative peace.
Soay tups though are quite pugnacious, and will disrupt an otherwise settled group of other-breed tups.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS