Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not a good start  (Read 6656 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Not a good start
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2020, 12:30:32 pm »
Another one this morning!
When I went to shed to check she was already pushing. Left her and she delivered it herself which was great. A single ram lamb. It was hard leaving them be. I am definitely over-anxious but keep telling myself what someone said here - stop and think why I’m going to do something. So I also stayed out the way and watched him find the teat. It’s been drilled into me how important colostrum is!
If the others lambs are the same I hope it means we got our feeding right - single lamb wasn’t massive and twins weren’t tiny. 

I’ve been looking at ear-tagging and registration- it says they need to be tagged before nine months of age. So until they’re tagged I don’t register them in any way?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2020, 12:31:37 pm »

I will add that most of my ewes have needed help- mainly due to mispresented lambs, not sure why  :thinking:  great example was found a triplet last week with 2 good sized lambs- if she wasn’t scanned you would think she had just had twins. Put my hand in and all I could feel was a tail  :tired:   :yuck:

What sheep have you got Twizzel?

I thought yesterday I should’ve checked my twin lamber didn’t have another, but she did pass two afterbirths. The first one the guy said feel in there and see so I could see what it felt like when there aren’t any more.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:33:22 pm by tommytink »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2020, 03:17:32 pm »
Lleyns... normally easy lambing  :roflanim:  but they are prolific. I don’t think it’s just the lleyn ram that is influencing the malpresented lambs but will be interesting to see what happens when he goes in the summer and we start lambing his replacement’s lambs next year.

R.e tagging it can be done up to 9 mths but best either done now at birth or in the autumn after flies have gone. In which case tag slaughter lambs before you load onto trailer. Registration all depends on the breed society. You’ll need to note births in your flock/movement book though, and castrate any ram lambs before 1 week of age, same with ringing tails.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2020, 03:45:34 pm »
So if I tag before turning them out that’ll be okay. Then I can record their numbers in the book. I was thinking I had to notify somewhere like you do the movements.

Will do the castration. No docking of tails for these guys though. I have joined the flock society but it’s all a bit vague, they didn’t send me any info or anything and their website was down!!

Had another new lamb this morning. She did it all by herself as well as I went against my urge to interfere!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2020, 04:48:29 pm »
Looks grand  :thumbsup: - and all the better for not being manhandled ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS