Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: European Mouflon  (Read 1748 times)

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
European Mouflon
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:18:38 am »
I was reading through some of the old posts about Mouflon on the forum and was wondering if anyone managed to find out anymore about them in the uk?  The posts are a few years old now and was interested if anyone had Mouflon or knew of any? .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: European Mouflon
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:30:35 am »
I am not aware of any in the UK, but one of the contributors on a FB sheepy / fleecey forum mentioned having seen wild mouflon in Germany some time ago

ETA and I found
They are similar to the mouflon seen wild in Corsica, Sardinia and Cyprus.
in a post on Ravelry about Soay sheep
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:33:46 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:07:01 pm »
Yes they are in the uk, I have a flock. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any or knew of some.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 10:26:16 pm »
Why the subterfuge [member=142141]James1[/member] ? 
So you have a flock - now what ?

James1

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 12:18:16 am »
Subterfuge??
I never said I didn’t have any.
I asked on the forum to see if any members kept them or maybe knew of any.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 12:43:59 am »
No, you didn't [member=142141]James1[/member] ,  but you didn't say you had any either!  I would have expected a post saying:

"Hi all, James1 here again:  my breeding flock of Euro' Mouflon is doing well and I'm wondering whether there are any other owners on the forum."  !!  ???

As I asked before, now what?  Are you looking for buyers or looking to broaden your gene pool perhaps ?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:07:19 am by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 09:09:25 am »
And more importantly, where did you source your foundation animals and please post some pictures!!  :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 09:09:08 pm »
Come on [member=142141]James1[/member] !  I don't doubt there are a good few TAS members, besides SiN, interested in knowing more details about your Mouflon flock and your experiences so far  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:27:36 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 11:41:13 pm »
Oh well;  seems James1 has decided to go undercover once more.  Hopefully, he has found other UK owners, by other means, for gene exchange or is sourcing new genes from the continent for on-going flock viability/health/saleability !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS