Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not a good start  (Read 6706 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Not a good start
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 03:57:40 pm »
I would love cctv and did look into it at the weekend but trouble is our WiFi signal won’t reach that far. We’d have to hardwire it which is a project for another time. That’s if we keep going!!

You can get camera that transmit IP-over-wire, so it comes through your electricity cable, that is if you have lights etc in your shed and the cable comes to/ from your house, you can use that with some kind of gizmo to get the signal through. I use my camera that way in my goatshed.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 04:38:02 pm »
Just to reiterate how easily things can go wrong... just had a ewe lamb- the first lamb was coming head first, no legs... got that out all ok after finding the legs. The second was backwards  :rant:  had she been left i probably would have had 2 dead lambs. So don’t beat yourself up as things can go pear shaped very easily.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 04:38:50 pm »
You can get CCTV cameras that don't need any wires or WiFi. There's one called ARLO GO. It has a rechargeable battery and works with a SIM card from Vodafone which costs £4.00 a month. The cameras aren't cheap but do the job if you've no internet connection. They are infra red at night. Hope this helps.
4 pet sheep

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 08:57:20 pm »
I would love cctv and did look into it at the weekend but trouble is our WiFi signal won’t reach that far. We’d have to hardwire it which is a project for another time. That’s if we keep going!!

You can get camera that transmit IP-over-wire, so it comes through your electricity cable, that is if you have lights etc in your shed and the cable comes to/ from your house, you can use that with some kind of gizmo to get the signal through. I use my camera that way in my goatshed.

Thanks for mentioning this. I had a thing like this at one of my old houses to get WiFi from downstairs to upstairs and totally forgot about it. Now I’ve just got to find it after two house moves  :-\

I don’t get mobile signal there either so don’t think the Arlo camera would work. The joys of living in a valley!!

Thanks for the tips Sally. I had typed up another sheet with info on how to deal with different presentations so good to see it matches what you’ve said. I’ll try and remember to check teats are working too.

A happier day today anyway with our first new additions, twin ewe lambs!

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 09:15:53 pm »

Thanks for mentioning this. I had a thing like this at one of my old houses to get WiFi from downstairs to upstairs and totally forgot about it. Now I’ve just got to find it after two house moves  :-\
[/quote]

It has to be on the same circuit or something - our stable is on a different one to the rest of the house, so we couldn't use it. If you have one it's no harm done trying, I guess. What I did was just run a really long outdoor internet cable up to the stables.

CCTV definitely helps with the nights.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2020, 09:21:30 pm »
A happier day today anyway with our first new additions, twin ewe lambs!

Hurrah!   :excited:  :love: :sheep: :hugsheep:

Pictures are obligatory  :eyelashes: :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2020, 10:53:26 pm »
I tried but it said it was too big! Even though I’ve attached before? I’ll try again...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2020, 11:08:23 pm »
Awww  :love: they look fab :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2020, 11:53:08 pm »
Can’t believe they’re here! Keep checking them. Get worried if they’re just laid down but guess lambs need sleep too!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2020, 05:46:47 am »
fantastic to see your new additions - and ewe lambs too! I allow myself to become attached to those, every ewe lamb I have I think 'oh she's very nice, I'll keep her for back breeding' :)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2020, 11:49:07 am »
Well done! Your first home grown lambs! :sheep: :hugsheep:  You must be so proud.
Did they come out quite easily or did you have to intervene?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 09:15:55 am »
She was showing signs for about an hour- pawing, pulling her lips back. I had a guy we know come over and he caught hold of her to check and said she was ready but it was a pretty tight exit, for the first one at least. Then he just pulled the second one as well, which came a lot easier.

Yesterday we had another set of twins which we dealt with ourselves. The amniotic sac was out but wasn’t breaking. Eventually it did and she was straining for about 20 minutes but didn’t seem to be getting anywhere so I helped with that one. She wasn’t as tight as the first ewe to lamb. We let her clean it off and the other one started coming out but she was being so attentive to the first one she wasn’t pushing or anything. We left again about 20 minutes and then just helped her with that one too. We wanted her to do it herself, and I remember what everyone says about giving time, but I think I was anxious as we had the dead lamb and then the other ewe being quite tight. She seemed to be putting a lot of effort in to pushing, which I guess is the norm, but I didn’t know if she was struggling more. In retrospect I should maybe have left her? I obvs don’t want to be involved with every lambing!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2020, 10:24:44 am »
I guess with experience you just know when to intervene. If I’ve pulled the first lamb I’ll generally pull the others providing they are up and I can feel feet (not low down in the tummy). Some people leave the ewe to have the second or third herself, some will pull the rest of the lambs.

I will add that most of my ewes have needed help- mainly due to mispresented lambs, not sure why  :thinking:  great example was found a triplet last week with 2 good sized lambs- if she wasn’t scanned you would think she had just had twins. Put my hand in and all I could feel was a tail  :tired:   :yuck:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2020, 11:15:25 am »
Experience will help in deciding when to intervene and when to leave alone.

One rule is if there's been one that took some time / needed a lot of help, you don't want any that are behind to be kept waiting much longer, especially if you know / suspect there are three.

I find that most of the problems with mothering (including lambs which don't thrive later on, which is a more subtle one to spot and harder to be sure of the reasons) arise from too much intervention.  So unless I think a lamb or ewe is struggling, if I have any concerns then I will just check that the presentation is good and then let the ewe try a while longer.

And assistance with one that's just taking time / the ewe is a bit tight, I will try first to help by applying supporting (pulling but not excessively) pressure when the ewe is straining, and then just holding the legs steady until she strains again.  Only if after maybe three or five good contractions no progress is occurring will I  pull any harder.  If it's the vulva that's tight (usually only with a first-timer), I gently work on stretching the vulva around the head with a very well-lubed hand.   My experience is that the more the ewe was made to deliver faster than she wanted, the more likely are mothering problems. 

If it's the shoulders which are sticking, then often pulling one front leg fully forward will lengthen the shoulder joint sufficiently to allow the shoulders to come.

If it's hips/rump which are sticking, you will need to help, but take care that you don't bruise the ewe.  So again, pulling as she strains, then just stopping the lamb from going back in and letting the ewe rest before the next contraction.

Make good notes about who had what problems and what you did.  Then after they've all lambed and all the families are out and happy at grass, review your notes and look for clusters.  Then think about why those clusters had those problems, and think of some changes you can make next year to reduce them. 

For instance, we had one tup whose lambs on one batch of ewes were all too large.  On all the other ewes, no problem.  So we didn't pair him with that batch of ewes again.

If all the lambs are overlarge and you fed cake before lambing, feed less next time.  If all the lambs are overlarge and you didn't feed cake, and the ewes weren't on overlush grass, don't use that tup on those ewes again.  And so on.

If all the ewes are lacking enough milk, give them better grass next time if you can, otherwise some cake.  (But calibrate for conditions - it's been stupid wet this year, so the grass won't have been as nutritious as it would be in a drier year, etc.)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2020, 11:21:21 am »

I will add that most of my ewes have needed help- mainly due to mispresented lambs, not sure why  :thinking:  great example was found a triplet last week with 2 good sized lambs- if she wasn’t scanned you would think she had just had twins. Put my hand in and all I could feel was a tail  :tired:   :yuck:

Dystocia can be a factor of the tup and / or a lack of minerals.  If that tup hasn't given problems before, it's likely minerals.  It's been a very wet winter; wet grass isn't as nutritious, licks get washed away, etc. 

Keep himalayan rock salt always available if you don't already, and / or a pre-lambing lick, and maybe consider a mineral drench - a good chelated one like Ovithrive - at around 2 months before lambing next time. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS