Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I overdose my sheep on wormer?  (Read 2261 times)

Herdy Mum

• Joined Feb 2020
Can I overdose my sheep on wormer?
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:29:46 am »
I've recently got three Herdwicks - born last April so not quite a year old yet.  One of them has terrible scour and has had for about three days.  Vet advised I go to local farm supplies shop and get a wormer - they gave be Ovidrench so I caught them and dosed them.  However, I'm not sure the one that's ill got the full dose as I was struggling to hold on to her and get the dosing gun in her mouth, will it do more harm than good if I dose her again (was dosed two days ago)? 

She was really under the weather but is slightly better but scour is terrible and she's still a bit miserable.

I grew up on a hill farm so I'm used to sheep but it's harder when you've only got three that you can see out of your house window than when you have 600 out on a fell so I'm really worried about her!

I called our vet again this morning and was told he'd phone me back but hasn't yet.

Any help, advice, reassurance greatly received.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Can I overdose my sheep on wormer?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:21:47 am »
As a rule of thumb, never re-dose during the withdrawal period, which for this product is 5 days.   

Also, it has cobalt and selenium in it as well as the wormer (albendazole), so an overdose of any of the three ingredients could cause a problem 
Do not administer other cobalt and selenium supplements concurrently with this product unless specifically advised by your veterinary surgeon.
:thinking:

It would be an expensive but safe option to dose with a wormer of a different class and which doesn't have selenium or cobalt in the drench.

Hopefully your vet will call back and give you more informed advice - and a cheaper option!   :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS