Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis / black bag pre lambing  (Read 844 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Mastitis / black bag pre lambing
« on: February 28, 2020, 08:52:15 am »
Hi all

I'm a bit worried about one of my ewes. 2 years ago she had a lovely single lamb, plenty of milk and dried up nicely. She is due triplets in just over 3 weeks and has really started to bag up this week.

I had a check this morning as her tests are prominently visible but they're rather dark in colour, well the whole bag is and is the same on the other side. It doesn't look inflamed or swollen just discoloured. She is acting completely normal, grazing and coming for food as normal.

The weather has been windy and a bit snowy but they've had much worse pre lambing in 2018 and have a shelter in the field but don't use it.

Can sheep get mastitis weeks before lambs are due? I will be ringing the vets when they open.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mastitis / black bag pre lambing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:01 am »
Yes they can get mastitis in the weeks before lambing, but it's not common.

To be sure. you need to get a feel of the bag to see if there is any heat or hardness.

Most likely there is no problem but it's best to be sure.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS