Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs eating Beech nuts  (Read 2129 times)

Splodge64

• Joined Feb 2020
Pigs eating Beech nuts
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:28:53 am »
 We are first time big owners bringing home three Oxford Sandy and black weaners this weekend we are planning on letting them forage under our 12 large beach trees, we understand it’s fine for them to eat Beech nuts but not sure about the glut of beechnuts already on the floor from last year which have obviously been there all over the winter it sounds silly but should we clear some of these before we give them access to this area
Thanks

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Pigs eating Beech nuts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 05:50:14 pm »
[member=199882]Splodge64[/member]  I note you only joined forum in Feb 20 so I should like to say welcome.  I don't know the answer to your Q and piggy folk here are seemingly not sure either (given lack of replies so far).   

As it's now 2 and bit weeks on:  what did you decide to do - did you let the pigs run? 

(As a non-piggy person, I would guess it would be OK:  pigs are not the most discerning of eaters and I imagine their stomachs can cope with most things including potentially old beech mast - but, clearly, I don't actually know.)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 06:41:22 pm »

Hadn't seen this until today - thanks to arobwk  :)

Are there nuts left in the masts? I wouldn't worry about it. They are going to have plenty of new ground to investigate.

Splodge64

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 07:09:31 pm »
Finally finished the fencing today and released the pigs from the smaller enclosure into the paddock under the trees they are ecstatic and happily eating everything in sight hopefully all will be well

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 02:30:07 pm »
There is no happier sight than an ecstatic weaner. ;D :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS