Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using liquid glycerin  (Read 1700 times)

jonaxe

• Joined Apr 2017
Using liquid glycerin
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:26:00 pm »
Hi, we have a weak 8mth old lamb that had high worm load that was treated last month that has not been gaining weight and is still condition score of 1. In the last few days following the wind and rain he's started stumbling on his front legs.

He is now in a field shelter and has some appetite for hay and ivy but not beet/course mix which he's confused about.

Just popped out and got him some maxithrive b12 drench but also wanted something for instant energy so bought Trilanco liquid glycerine, how do you provide it to the sheep and in what sort of dosage??

Thanks, jon

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Using liquid glycerin
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 04:20:13 pm »
Had a good look on the web but can't find dosage , so I would suggest you phone Trilanco and speak to technical or try your vet . Im sure your vet told you that the hogg will probably have serious gut damage and cs 1 outside in jan is not good  , stumbling suggests he is very weak maybe dehydrated

jonaxe

• Joined Apr 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 04:27:56 pm »
Thanks shep53. I'd also looked around on the web and couldn't find how to use it from any manufacturer.
As suggested I will contact Trilanco and speak to technical.

He's got good shelter and access to lots of mixed foods and water so hopefully he'll pull through if he's up to it. He's Balwen so generally a tough little cookie.

Jon

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 06:15:45 pm »
Has the vet seen him ? If he hasn’t started to improve after worming then either he has serious gut damage as said above or something else is going on too- could run some bloods ?

Ermingtrude

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:14:48 pm »
Not a vet, and have never used it in my own animals, but I am a diabetic, so please use pure glucose with caution. An energy boost is one thing, but once the glucose hits the blood, the body tries to take excess away, and you can easily end up with a *low* following the *high*, which won't do your little man any good. Little and often - allow the body to take it and use it, and not overload it with sugar it feels it needs to deal with. If a diabetic has low sugar, the advice is to give jam sandwiches - jam for the initial sugar boost, bread for the longer acting carbohydrate boost. Not a mars bar, much as I would like it to be ! At the vet practice I work at, we give *poor doers* a mix of glucose solution with black treacle/mollases, rubbed on gums every hour or so, and drizzled on forage ( ivy, willow, hay etc ) so they are taking in small amounts over a longer period of time - can make a mix/pellet more palatable too.

Good luck with your boy, I hope he feels better soon, and recovers well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:06:39 pm »
All good stuff, Ermingtrude - but glycerine isn't glucose.  ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jonaxe

• Joined Apr 2017
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 10:15:54 am »
Thanks all.

Spoke to Trilanco who advised to dose based on veterinary instructions. They added, as an example " for twin lamb disease it’s usual to feed 100ml per day with some glucose". The moral is query your vet of course).

I should add that the little guy had a 300 FEC so only borderline according to vet.

I think he's perking up now based on the nutrient/vitamin drench, lovely fresh hay, course mix with speedybeet, and some deep bedding to keep warm. Fingers crossed.

Ermingtrude

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 12:37:36 pm »
All good stuff, Ermingtrude - but glycerine isn't glucose.  ;)

No, which is why our vets suggest mixing it with glucose/mollases, so animals can get the short term sugar rise from the glucose/mollases, along with the long chain carbo effect of the glycerine - sorry if it wasn't all that clear in my post :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS