Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick lamb please help  (Read 1645 times)

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
Sick lamb please help
« on: February 13, 2020, 05:23:51 am »
Hi, I have a bottle lamb 5 days old, she was drinking her milk really well, but I went out to feed the lambs to night, and she was just lying under the heat lamp, she ate really well at her last feed but I struggled to get 80ml I to her!.

She now is in the house as she had a temperature of 38.1 degrees. But she has hardly the energy to stand or move ????.

I warmed her up and gave her some honey under her tongue, I also do a enena on her with suscess, as I thought she may of had bloat,

Can u guys give me any ideas of what may be wrong, or any thing I can do to help her.

Many thanks  :sheep:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Sick lamb please help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:11:34 am »
Could be anything, lambs can go downhill very quickly so if you’re concerned I would ring the vet ASAP rather than wait for an Internet forum to come back with some stab in the dark guesses as to what could be wrong.

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:05:18 am »
Hi. Going to vets as soon as they open

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 03:12:56 pm »
how did you get on?

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:27:50 pm »
Hi. My lamb got 3 injections, she is a lot brighter now, vet was unsure what was wrong, she is still not sucking great, but getting 50ml every few hours  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:56:54 pm »
Hi. My lamb got 3 injections, she is a lot brighter now, vet was unsure what was wrong, she is still not sucking great, but getting 50ml every few hours  :thumbsup:

Glad she is brighter and getting something.  You might find, now she is getting some, that she sucks better if you feed her less often.  Always a judgement call, balancing getting sustenance into them versus them being hungry enough to feed properly  ::)

You might also consider putting her on electrolytes instead of milk for 24 or even 48 hours - either Pfizer Scour Formula (PSF) or Rehydion or similar - as sometimes milk is a bit rich for them if they've been poorly.  I like Rehydion, as you can mix it with milk if you want, so you can reintroduce milk gradually once they seem properly perky and hungry again.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Newtosheep

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 10:54:00 am »
Thanks for the replies, she is back to normal now  :thumbsup: :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS